Neighbor Draining Roof onto My Property

Page 1 of 3
My next door neighbor has run his black corrugated pipe from his downspouts down to the back corner of our adjoining lot, right up the the fence, and it is draining directly onto my property, and drenching the footings of my shed.
I can't believe this is anything but intentional. In fact, he did it a few years ago, and even more blatantly, and halfway from front to back, instead of the back corner.
Do I have a reason to complain to the guy? Am I torqued over nothing? Someone please talk me out of calling him and "politely" asking him to move it again.
Or should I go out there at night, and push a long pole through the fence and push the drain back onto his yard, and see if it magically reappears again back towards my yard?

    Considering the tone of your message, I would totally avoid any contact with the neighbor and certainly any illegal action on your part.
    You need to contact the local authorities. In most areas there are regulations about changing drainage patterns and how you handle such drains. It sounds like your neighbor is in violation of the typical regulation. Let the authorities handle it.
Perry Aynum wrote:

Call your Building Dept. or Code enforcement.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
DanG wrote:

    I agree. Nothing can create ill will faster than calling the authorities before discussing the issue with your neighbor. If you let him know you have a problem due to his actions, perhaps the two of you can find a solution that satisfies both of you. If not, then you can call the authorities for help.
    I no longer live in a mega-city environment, but I did live in one for many years. It is amazing how many people in large cities don't even know their neighbors name, hence the reluctance to discuss a problem.

+1
I'd start with figuring out if there is any easy solution as to where he could be routing the water that would alleviate your concerns. Then I'd talk to the neighbor. If that doesn't work, then I'd proceed with a call to code enforcement and see what they have to say. It's possible the neighbor didn't even think about what he was doing. But of course it's also very possible he's just a jerk.

My neighbor built a dam that blocked drainage of my property across his and he had to remove it. He did so quite willingly once he was informed of the law.
JImmie
What kind of fence? Can you put something on your side of the fence (lawn edging plastic stuff several inches tall?) to keep the water out of your yard?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

    In my area, that could be illegal. The best idea is to start by finding out the facts of local code.

That's what I'd do. Since he did this intentionally without consulting you, I'd get a few scoops of rock and sand mix and just make a swale there so no water could enter the property, and it would just send it back on his side..

I'd do the same. The guy is a jerk.

Water does tend to run down hill and if you property is lower than his you will get the water sooner or later anyway.
It does sound like he may being a bit of a butt to not allow the ground to absorb some of the water before it reaches you.
Before you follow the advice of other posters and call code enforcement, make sure your own house is in order. Did you get the proper permits for the shed? Did you alter the natural drainage patterns with the shed (illegal most places with codes)?
While it is annoying I doubt that a shed has enough weight for it to really be an issue. Maybe some flow routing can help?
Colbyt

Did you put the shed in a drainage easement. My property for instance has a 20 foot drainage easement in the back yard that is easily overlooked if you don't think about it.
--
If youre going to sin, sin against God,
not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you

Cold you explain what you mean by "drainage easement"?
To answer the other question - yes, I pulled a permit for the shed and it is compliant.

An easement for drainage (g). It is an area in back of my house that basically contains the drainage swale and some extra. The developer put in these easements for drainage where you can't put anything that would impede drainage. Can't even run my fence in there because stuff floating by might get caught and do the impeding.

Then that is probably not a concern.
--
If youre going to sin, sin against God,
not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you

I image the codes vary a bit from state to state depending on ground conditions and other factors. Here in our newer developments it is a part of plat approval that homeowners will not alter the natural path of water after the landscape engineering plan is approved by the planning commission.
To wit: water runs down hill to a proper catch basin and is slowly released to the natural streams. Building a berm of some sort that blocks the natural / structured flow of the water would be a code violation.
I personally think your neighbor is a butt to do this but the old saying that about flies and honey is true. I would discuss it with him first.
I do doubt that it will hurt your shed unless it is creating a bog which would mean you other problems on the down hill side of your shed.

But I shouldn't have to put on rubber boots just to go out to the shed.
I am not interested in suing the guy. But the last time he did this little trick I had to ask him twice to move the drain. I am tempted to go to the city so the butthead gets the message this time.
Perry Aynum wrote:

If you;ve already dealt with him doing this once and he did it again, I'd agree.

Send him a registered letter of complaint, give him 3 days, then go to the city.

This is the missing piece of information. It would have been helpful if you had shared that the first time around.
Report him to the city or sue him. He obviously is not a good neighbor. Others have mentioned the potential repercussions. But sometimes we just have to stand and fight. I always prefer to avoid them but am not afraid to do it if necessary.
The city costs a lot less than lawyers.
Colbyt