Need to untime ceiling lamp

I have a porch lamp that is mounted in what appears to be a simple ceiling fixture. The lamp goes ON/OFF with a switch, but if left on it will turn off in a couple of hours. The timer isn't in the switch or the bulb and I didn't see it in the fixture. How can I modify the lamp so it stays on until I turn it off?
Thanks!

fixture. The lamp goes ON/OFF with a switch, but if left on it will turn off in a couple of hours. The timer isn't in the switch or the bulb and I didn't see it in the fixture. How can I modify the lamp so it stays on until I turn it off?

out? (If it comes back on after it cools, that is what is happening).
If that is the case, check what might be blocking air movement above the fixture or use a smaller bulb.
Pat
On 11-24-2012 09:42, Pat wrote:

fixture. The lamp goes ON/OFF with a switch, but if left on it will turn off in a couple of hours. The timer isn't in the switch or the bulb and I didn't see it in the fixture. How can I modify the lamp so it stays on until I turn it off?

A similar effect occurs with poor quality connections after they get old enough. They get hot and disconnect. Can take quite a while before they cool and re-connect. Sometimes only physical jarring restores the connection.
Can even be fixed in rare cases by unscrewing the bulb and putting it back in.
--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;

While I find it strange that the timing device isn't visible within the fixture or switch, I see a few options, in no particular order.
1 - Trace the wires from the switch to the fixture and you might find the timing device (if there really is one) somewhere along the run. It might be in a closet or in the basement.
2 - I assume that to turn the light back on after it times out, you have to toggle the switch to turn it back on. Have you tried toggling the switch very quickly, like within one second? Many motion detector controlled lights can be forced into "always on" mode by toggling the switch on on-off-on within one second. Perhaps that will work with your light also.
3 - Grab another fixture, even a cheap plastic one like shown below and try it. Use a different bulb too. If it doesn't time out, then either the timing device was in the fixture or something else was causing the light to go out after some amount of time.
http://www.pro-handyman.com/Pro-Handyman-Blog/bid/63820/Replacing-A-Pull-Chain-Light-Fixture
4 - You could even try one of these with any lamp or device:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/370646582507?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
While it wouldn't take anything out of your original circuit, it would probably eliminate any heat related issue and the bulb itself. If it didn't time out with something plugged in that wasn't heating up the fixture, you'd be closer to finding out what was going on.
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:43:16 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Timer might be in basement (or other location) next to the breaker box. That's common placement.
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:43:16 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

After the light turns off automatically, what happens when you turn the switch off and then back on right away?
On Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:51:33 PM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Is there a a WARNING label inside the fixture which says Maximum Wattage Bulb?
What is that wattage and what wattage bulb is installed?
Note there is a temperature sensor which will shut off the fixture if it gets to be too hot. Try a lower wattage bulb, fluorescent, or LED.
It isn't a heat-related problem. I actually have 3 of the lamps - two over my garage and one over my porch. I put LED lamps in all 3 of them.
I'll try resetting the porch light quickly, as a couple of you suggested. If I recall correctly, though, that function is in the switch.
The lights over the garage are turned on by a light sensor, but I haven't found it yet.
THANKS for the responses!