Need to replace my electric panel

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:53:09 -0800 (PST), Evan

I still say the green hairy hunchback lives under a bridge.
On 1/28/2012 3:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

That's an odd thing to say that all breakers snap in to place because a few moths ago I installed 20 amp "bolt in" breakers in am electrical panel to power two new 120 vac circuits for a couple of 42" monitors.
TDD

Troll
On 1/27/2012 3:38 PM, Keith wrote:

buss, but as others have pointed out, it would have to have a pretty long wire attached to reach the floor. I think the general consensus is that Square D- QO are considered the best residential grade breakers
I'd check Consumer Reports. Beyond that, not sure.
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. It's time for a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty much the same, that's fine too.

If this were The Wheel, you'd have won a Carribean vacation.

Or, a new insurance carrier?

If this were The Wheel, you'd have won a Carribean vacation.

Was the wire it feeds still attached? Are you sure the panel needs replacing because you had a bad breaker? That seems like you are buying a new car because of a flat tire. But then again, you know better the reason the breaker fell out since you were there.
If the panel is from the 60's, so is everything in it and probably feeding it. Now is a good time to check everything that may need upgrading before making a final decision.
The electrician we use at wok prefers Square D, but there may be others just as good. I don't buy them often so I don't have much experience with the differences.

Up here, Seimens is the brand of choice for most electricians. (every one I asked about changing mine)
On Jan 27, 10:37pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I see a lot of Seimens switchgear and metering centers as well as breaker panels in commercial buildings... Square D would also be a good name too...
Bolt-on breakers are better than snap-in types but those panels and the breakers that are used with them cost a little bit more...
~~ Evan
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:15:55 -0800 (PST), Evan

And don't associate "square D" necessarily with quality. The Square D Homeline? panel is the replacement for the FPE. Both made by the same company, by the way. Schneider Electric builds both Square D and FPE.
On 1/28/2012 3:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Square D was known for their high quality, and Federal Pacific was known for their low quality long before Schneider had anything to do with them.

ANd all I'm saying is THINGS HAVE CHANGED. The high end Square D is still good stuff - but they are putting the Sqare D name on the FPE quality product now as well. Just because it says Square D on it does not mean it is the quality product you have come to associate with Square D.
On 1/27/2012 9:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

*****

Um, is he a Chinese electrician? ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:16:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas

OK -- Where "R" U Wok, Work - it's only one stupid little letter ;}
On 1/28/2012 2:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:49:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Typos provide some of the best entertainment on USENET.