Need to replace my electric panel

FPE breakers are famous for that. Remove the cover without a few extra hands to help and guaranteed 5 breakers will pop out.

Reply to
George

That's an odd thing to say that all breakers snap in to place because a few moths ago I installed 20 amp "bolt in" breakers in am electrical panel to power two new 120 vac circuits for a couple of 42" monitors.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And don't associate "square D" necessarily with quality. The Square D Homeline? panel is the replacement for the FPE. Both made by the same company, by the way. Schneider Electric builds both Square D and FPE.

Reply to
clare

OK -- Where "R" U Wok, Work - it's only one stupid little letter ;}

Reply to
clare

No problem getting insurance with an FPE panel if it is in good shape .

Reply to
clare

I still say the green hairy hunchback lives under a bridge.

Reply to
clare

Never had it happen.

Reply to
clare

Square D was known for their high quality, and Federal Pacific was known for their low quality long before Schneider had anything to do with them.

Reply to
RBM

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

ANd all I'm saying is THINGS HAVE CHANGED. The high end Square D is still good stuff - but they are putting the Sqare D name on the FPE quality product now as well. Just because it says Square D on it does not mean it is the quality product you have come to associate with Square D.

Reply to
clare

I work for an insurance company half time. THEY do not inspect. They may require an inspection. They will not fail a house for having FPE breaker panels. They will fail it for having an unsafe panel.

The FPE problem is basically limitted to several years production 30 or so years ago. Their current product (well - up untill they changed it to Square D - and the FPE is still available at Home Despot in Canada, for instance) the product was actually pretty fair quality - with virtually no higher incidence of problems than with any other major manufacturer. As an electrician, my dad said he saw as many Square D and other panel failures as he did FPE.

Reply to
clare

Typos provide some of the best entertainment on USENET.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ok, I was not aware of that, but if those breakers are or were so bad, how come another company dont just make a better breaker for the same panels?

Reply to
jw

Since FPE went out of business, other companies have and continue to make replacement U.L. approved breakers for those panels.

Reply to
RBM

To correct another of haller's mistakes - FPE did not go out of business. It was sold to Reliance Electric. It is still being made in Canada (clare says by Schneider - I have no idea).

One of the oddities of FPE is that you turn breakers on by switching them away from the center, which tends to unplug them.

Reply to
bud--

Simple answer? Same company does. The old (dangerous?) breakers have been "superceded" for over 20 years.

Reply to
clare

Then the solution would be to simply replace the breakers with all the new ones. Of course I recall earlier in this thread there was mention they cost $30 each. In that case, replacing the whole panel could be cheaper for a DIY guy, but to hire an electrician, it would likely still be cheaper just to replace the breakers.

I'm glad I dont have one of them!!!

Reply to
jw