Need to replace my electric panel

Page 1 of 2
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. It's time for a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty much the same, that's fine too.
On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

+1...
Could not have fallen on the floor unless it was not connected to a circuit...
Brand = Price
The bigger question you should be asking yourself is that if you are going to be replacing the panel now, should you also replace/upgrade the service entrance, meter can, grounding facilities, etc at the same time since it is all related work...
~~ Evan
On 1/27/2012 2:50 PM, Evan wrote:

...and the cover was off, besides.

Not sure about all breakers, but mine snap in.
If I was the OP, I'd put it back and not worry about it unless it did it again.
--
Dan Espen

The breakers just snap in place. This one came loose and popped out when I tried to reset it.
On 1/27/2012 8:21 PM, Keith wrote:

well why were your resetting a breaker that has no wire attached to it?
--
Steve Barker

All brands of breakers snap in place. None do it exactly the same, but they all do.
I garee with others. In order to pop out, the breaker panel cover had to be off. If it fell on the floor, there was no wire attached. Therefore, it's not being used, so why did you reset it?
Why replace the whole panel because of one (possibly) bad breaker. Spend around $5 for a new breaker, snap it in, and put the cover on the panel. DONE!
Do you demolish and build a new house when the carpeting needs to be replaced?
Maybe the breaker is not even bad, and just was not snapped in tightly. You'll have to carefully check this breaker and make sure the contacts are that snap in place, are not broken. If this breaker is not being used, just eliminate it, but buy a special cover made for the breaker hole so fingers cant be shoved in the hole (likely required by code).

obviously you havent priced FPE breakers lately. if you can find them they are around 30 bucks each. plus its hard to get new homeowners insurance with a FPE panel
just google FPE & fire.....
then you will understand why the company went out of business...........

.

may require an inspection. They will not fail a house for having FPE breaker panels. They will fail it for having an unsafe panel.
The FPE problem is basically limitted to several years production 30 or so years ago. Their current product (well - up untill they changed it to Square D - and the FPE is still available at Home Despot in Canada, for instance) the product was actually pretty fair quality - with virtually no higher incidence of problems than with any other major manufacturer. As an electrician, my dad said he saw as many Square D and other panel failures as he did FPE.

Ok, I was not aware of that, but if those breakers are or were so bad, how come another company dont just make a better breaker for the same panels?
On 1/29/2012 9:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

make replacement U.L. approved breakers for those panels.
On 1/29/2012 9:12 AM, RBM wrote:

To correct another of haller's mistakes - FPE did not go out of business. It was sold to Reliance Electric. It is still being made in Canada (clare says by Schneider - I have no idea).
One of the oddities of FPE is that you turn breakers on by switching them away from the center, which tends to unplug them.
--
bud--

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:59:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

been "superceded" for over 20 years.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:58:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Then the solution would be to simply replace the breakers with all the new ones. Of course I recall earlier in this thread there was mention they cost $30 each. In that case, replacing the whole panel could be cheaper for a DIY guy, but to hire an electrician, it would likely still be cheaper just to replace the breakers.
I'm glad I dont have one of them!!!
On 1/28/2012 4:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

buss, hence the name. The current price for a single pole FPE breaker in the U.S. is about $30
On Jan 28, 4:30am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

All brands of breakers DO NOT just "snap into place" older ones like the Stab-lok ones being discussed here wedge into place and not all that well... Many commercial electrical panels use breakers that BOLT into place using large machine screws to attach an input flange on the breaker to the panel bus bar...
Why replace the panel ? LOL... Stick to things you know, a 40 year old panel should be replaced, not only are newer breakers tested in better ways than the older ones were, many circuit breakers deteriorate and wear out over time so that they might not trip like they are designed to do or might not be able to be switched back on after you turn them off if something has failed inside...
Your comment about demo'ing a house to change the carpeting is not a good comparison -- a carpet is an appearance issue, carpeting won't kill you from a shock hazard or burn down the house if it is overloaded or wears out... Consider replacing the electrical panel an investment in safety...
~~ Evan
On 1/28/2012 10:53 AM, Evan wrote:

FPE breakers are famous for that. Remove the cover without a few extra hands to help and guaranteed 5 breakers will pop out.