Need to Get Rid of Bees in the Basement

Hi --

Yesterday i went down stairs and i saw lot of bees in the basement. I am not sure how they are coming into basement. Is there a hole in my foundattion? i am not sure..

Who should i call some body to fix this problem?

I can kill the bees with a spray, but i want to have permanet solution.

Thanks for any ideas.

Anil

Reply to
anil chada

Call a local beekeeper, they usually will take away a hive for free.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Its getting cold and the bees or yellow jackets that are living in your walls somewhere are looking to stay alive. Get a pro to handle it , spraying from the outside will just drive them in If they are honey bees you want to remove the nest. They have to spray from inside to.

Reply to
mark Ransley

In article , snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid says... :) Call a local beekeeper, they usually will take away a hive for free. :) :) I wish I could find that in the Dallas areas. Going price seems to be $250 whether they remove or kill the colony.

Reply to
Lar

Time to call in a licensed pest control company, Anil. If you want to be eco-friendly and such, take a photograph of the insects (use the zoom to get as close up as possible without endangering yourself) and have it positively identified -- if it's a honeybee, call someone who raises honeybees and see if they want to come in and remove the bees for greener pastures. :) If it's not, or you do not wish to fool with the issue any longer, then call pest control.

Obviously, the bees have managed to access your basement through the outside. Be it foundation, attached structure, or otherwise they definitely did not start in there. ;) You'll want to look in the general vicinity of the hive for the entry point. (Do this AFTER the removal of course.) If you're a patient type, you can sit outside and watch the wall where the hive is at on the inside -- as the buggers come and go you'll catch their entry point. That might not work though -- depends on how your house is constructed, if there's a deck or an add-on, and so forth (common sense applies here obviously).

Once the hive is gone and you have clear access, you'll want to address what got you to this point in the first place so you do not suffer a repeat visit next year (or this year for that matter -- still plenty of warm/cool weather).

Good luck!

James

Reply to
JNJ

That's a pitty. Bees are important to pollination of many plants and are apparently decreasing in numbers.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Yes you do want a permanent solution. No you probably can't kill them all. And the ones that get away will be mad.

You are better off to trap them. It's easy to do. Find out where they come in. Put a trap on at night. Next day they all go out to work and get caught. After you remove the trap, you fill the hole with caulk. They don't come back.

Good luck,

Peter

Reply to
peter

------------

James--

Thanks for the information. After i read your review, i think i can locate the area where they are going into my basement. In front of my house i have small porch. when i go out, i can see all the bees going below a small vynal siding near that porch. I was wondering what is the best way to close that entry for these bees.

Thanks Anil Chada

Reply to
anil chada

Sounds about right -- I would expect them to be under that porch somewhere as well.

You'd really have to get a closer look at it and that will have to wait until you have them removed -- besides, I don't think you want to close that up until they're gone anyway. :)

Get your local pest control company involved -- they'll square you away.

James

Reply to
JNJ

This is due more than anything else to mites that are preying on them as well as cold temps (in some areas). Last year, our flowering trees were covered with bees -- this year I saw two bumble-bees all summer long and not a single honey bee at all; a true heartbreaker. I've considered putting a colony in the back yard just to repopulate the area but we have little 'uns so.... Thankfully there are plenty of other pollinators (remember, the honey bee is actually an introduced species -- it's not native to the US).

James

Reply to
JNJ

I live in the UK and found that if Lavender is planted, bumble bees are attracted to it in great numbers.

During the Summer I had a small patch and regularly saw about 10 at any one time.

Reply to
Mike