Need solution for more hot water

Page 2 of 2

(m Ransley) writes:

This is Turtle.
Some Quick Recovery runs about 1 ga. per minute.
TURTLE
(m Ransley) writes:

Pretty typical heater. Most 50 gallon heaters will only recover as much as a 40 gallon. You need what my boss has! He has a Buderus boiler with a add on heat exchanger for domestic hot water. The recovery rate on his is 258 gallons per hour! He says he NEVER runs out of hot water. http://www.buderus.net/Default.aspx?tabid5&cid &spidP&ctitle=multi-purpose&mcid=8 You better have some cash stashed away! Greg

Actually, burner is 40K BTU with 36.8 gallon/hour recovery rate. Is this considered a pretty "measly" rate?
writes:

This is Turtle.
Well it seems to be one of the slowest rates that I have seen but there could be somewhere something slower. The Norm is [ 40 Gal. recovers in 40 minutes. ] [ 50 Gal. -- 50 minutes. ] [ 30 Gal. -- 30 minutes. ] .
TURTLE
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:14:23 -0600, "TURTLE"

Chuck

The tanklless setup is a good option. Depending on the use patterns, you may want to convert the most used bathroom to that style and leave the 50 gallon tank for the rest. There was a thread here yesterday about that type of heater and it pointed to a web page for more information.
Why store and heat more water that will sit there all day?

I assume that you have raised the setting on the heater to the hottest setting. Install flow restricters on the showers that the children use.
When I was married with 3 kids we had a 30 gallon heater. The kids got 5 minutes in the shower and 10 if they took a bath. I put the heater on max just before the first shower.

storage is a poor answer in my opninion

This will be complicated and can not be answered except by inspection.

You do not mention where the water heater is. If it is outside, insulate it. especially the top with at least R-6. That will slow down the losses. Insulate the hot water line at the heater and anywhere else you can easily get at it.

If you realy find your unit will not handle it and it operates correctly look into a Rinnai tankless, you cant run out of hot water and will save in its operation as it is more efficient than regular water heaters. But first try what everyone has mentioned. Shower restrictors and showering first before running a tub, and put a time limit on showering, hot water can easily use 30% of your gas usage even if you live in a cold climate.
blueman wrote:

I'm assuming you have merged two families.
If not, what's different about your new house than your old one?
Get one of the kids to demonstrate how he takes a shower. I'll bet he turns the hot all the way up and adjusts the temperature with the cold tap. Show him another way.