Need help with new chande

Brent:

B > I took down a ceiling fan and put up a new chandelier, but I can't turn off B > the the thing using the switch ... and my finger prints are slowly fading B > because I burn them every time I "turn off" the fan :) It is a dial switch B > and I'm wondering if I need to change it, or re-wire the chandelier.

First I'll say I did not go to the cited web page but will give some general troubleshooting suggestions.

Is the chandelier's wiring connected the same way as the fan was? The fan must have worked correctly before the swap as you did not mention a problem.

The "dial switch" -- is it a straight on-off type of switch or is it variable? If variable possibly the incandescent lights of the chandelier are the wrong type of load (original load was a motor), or the first time you turned the switch on it shorted, effectively making it a short circuit (therefore always on). I would try swapping out the dial switch with a regular wall switch. You don't have to be neat: you can let the test switch hang out of the box just as long as the wires don't touch anything or you touch the wires.

B > I have circled an additional wire cap in the back because it's hard to see.

Was this wire used with the original fan?

  • New from Readers Digest: Howard Stern's Book of Etiquette
Reply to
barry martin