Need help, Round doweled fenceposts VS. 4x4 PT posts????

I'll go with the ceder 6'x8' stockade fence ($39 vs. $21 for spruce fence)

But I'm undecided on wich posts to use. Most of the fence in our area have the fence with the doweled ends going into a round post. I've been told the 4x4 PT posts last longer. of course you have to fasten the fence to the posts with a metal bracket or just put a screw through on an angle.

This is to replace an old fence of the same type. (old one was round posts)

I'm leaning towards the 4x4 post but would appreciate any insight!

THANKS sTEVE

Reply to
Steve

Where are you buying cedar stockade for 39.00?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

In Massachusetts Home depot and Lowes both sell it for close to that price. HD is 39 and Lowes is 40 I think. Cleveland Fence charges 60 for #2 cedar and 90 for #1.

Ivan

Reply to
ivan

That is correct! thats what I'm looking at. Fence co. wanted $1800 to replace 12 sections of fence. I'll do it myself before I pay that much.

As far as HD's Cedar fence. Other than being a wider picket (about 3.5") it looks just like the spruce they sell??? They also have PT fence very cheap.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The H.D. where I am does not have PT fence but Lowes does for 32 a panel. Anyone have an idea which would last longer PT or cedar.

Thanks Ivan

Reply to
ivan