Need Help Identifying Wall Toggle Switches

These may date back to the 60's not sure, and they may be discontinued as I can't find them anywhere on the Net. I have an electrical box with three small wall toggle switches rated 10 amps each. Mine are made by Bryant. They snap into a stamped metal triplex "bracket" which then mounts in any standard small rectangular electric box. With the box mounted with its long dimension horizontal, the three switches would toggle up and down. Can someone give me the history of these and let me know if they are still available? Thanks. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Can't help with the history and such but you might look here

if you're looking for replacements. I don't know if Allied sells retail but at least you'll have an idea what's available.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sure sound like the low-voltage remote switches that were in my brother-in-law's house. They mounted the same way - 3 wire units.

Reply to
clare

On Tue 18 Jan 2011 08:54:52p, told us...

No, the OP is talking about line voltage switches. We had some in our house in the 1950s and 1960s. They were modular and included switches, single receptacles, and pilot lights, and were designed primarily for flexibility and the ability to install 3 devices in a single gang box.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

They are called "Despard" switches. They are still available. It's a modular system that can have 1, 2 or three devices (switches, pilot lights, etc) in each single outlet space.

You can also get 2 or 3 gang switches already mounted on one plate, check the kitchen and bath section at Home Depot. They are commonly used for bathroom light/fan/heater combos.

Reply to
DT

We have a winner! I've seen them and I read about them hear a couple years ago, but forgot the name.

Reply to
mm

They are called "Despard" and they are still available, but can be difficult to find

Reply to
RBM

They are called Despard switches. Pass & Seymour makes interchangeable replacements likely available at your local real supply house.

Reply to
George

Thank you all! I Googled a million images with every conceivable description and nothing showed up. There was nothing on the switch itself to identify it, should have looked more carefully at the bracket. Thanks again! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

You should have showed a pic. You didn't say if you looked on Allied. or other electronics sites, even Grainger. Why don't you pick one like you need from the images. Just make sure its rated for 120 VAC and 15 amps. DC requires more amps, so 10 DC should be fine with a

120VAC switch.
Reply to
zek

I did look at pics on Google Images. Nothing came up at Grainger or Allied either..

Reply to
frank1492

On 1/19/2011 9:12 AM zek spake thus:

Not good suggestions. Allied carries no household electrical items like those kinds of switches, and Grainger isn't a good place to look for speciality residential electrical items either. Your local electrical supply house is the place to go.

Where do you get "DC" from? This is undoubtedly in a common household

120 VAC circuit.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The magic word you're looking for, IIRC, is "Despard."

nate

Reply to
N8N

On 1/18/2011 7:54 PM Dean Hoffman spake thus:

Sorry to bug you about this, but why do people suggest Allied for household *electrical* items?

That's like suggesting Home Despot for electrolytic capacitors or integrated circuits. They just don't carry that stuff.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've got those in my house, have seen them before, but never heard the name Despard before. Great information! Northe

Reply to
Northe

Just because of their big selection of whatever. They seemed like a place to look for odd stuff.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 1/19/2011 3:06 PM Dean Hoffman spake thus:

But not that kind of odd stuff. Use your head; they're an *electronics* supplier, like DigiKey, Mouser, Jameco, etc. These places don't stock light switches and duplex outlets and home electrical circuit breakers. Just like an electrical supply house won't have polyester capacitors, resistors and 3-terminal voltage regulators.

Please do your part to keep the signal-to-noise ratio here on Usenet high.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl