need help choosing a toilet

I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush or anything else like that I should be looking for?

Reply to
toecheese

AFAIK, 1.6 gall per flush is the max. available now, and I think I've seen some that are 1.4 gall per flush.

I think there are also dual-flush models that will use less than 1.6 (or

1.4) galls for liquid-only flushing.

Our American Standard "Champion" toilets (1.6 gall) are fine and have never had to be flushed more than once. There may be cheaper ones that work as well.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I have excellent experiences with Toto "Drake" toilets. Keep in mind that most models of toilets are available in round or elongated versions. If a male is going to be using it, they will appreciate the elongated versions as round ones are usually so short that parts of the male anatomy will come in contact with the interior porcelain surface, which is both uncomfortable and unsanitary.

Reply to
EXT

$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.lga...

=BF=BDI'd

avoid the power flush models at all costs unless you live alone.

they sound like a jet engine on takeoff.......

we replaced our water waster years ago and i regret that a lot.

lets just say that my output can be large diameter and hard at times, whicjh clogs toilet......

the old water piggie had no trouble in all those years.

one day i will go to canada and bring back a regular water waster, they are still sold in canada, and can be bought on e bay

Reply to
hallerb

Most flush with the same amount of water, some use less water at the expense of noisy flushing. Pick one sized by the distance from the center of the hole to the wall. Also, there are "male" toilets with more oblong bowls than round.

Reply to
Phisherman

Get one with a large Glazed Smooth Trap, Ive just used last year, 12,

60$ HD Glacier bay units with no issues, I can say how long the valves will last, but they work and are cheap.
Reply to
ransley

If you are in the US the only thing you will find are water savers. Don't go for the cheapest one there or for the fancy looks. Look for a fully glazed trap (that means the passage is slick like glass rather than like heavy duty sandpaper in the cheap models. Also look for the larger trap size, it is far less likely to clog. Once you have it, train the family to hold the handle down for the heavier loads, that will increase the water used for just that flush.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The best solution is to install a urinal. Since it's in my bathroom, and not hers, my wife doesn't care.

Boden

Reply to
Boden

Check Craigslist. People are forever replacing their perfectly good toilets with the not-so-good low-flush models.

In fact, you might be able to make a trade with the original poster...

Reply to
HeyBub

We have three Kohlers at work and they have been fine. No backups at all. Get the elongated model for comfort.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, Kohler Wellworth "comfort height" elongated nowl. We had 3 in our last house..they worked so well, we put 3 more in the "new" place. I dont even 'own' a plunger

Reply to
Rudy

Toto (Drake) Ultra. It's low flow, doesn't have a noisy power flush, and I can't even remember where the plunger is. Couldn't say that about my old water waster.

Reply to
<h>

Haven&#39;t had any problems with Kohler Wellworth and the Toto is just awesome. Some of the no name, cheap ones are pretty good too. Standard is 1.6 gal, don&#39;t know about the ultra low flush around 1 gal.

In any case, my preference is Toto.

Reply to
Frank

Google this group for "Toto" and/or "Toto Drake". Enjoy.

Reply to
mike

Many areas have rebates available for switching to a low flow toilet. Check with your municipality or water company. If a rebate is available you might as well pick from one of the approved models, if there is a specific list, or ensure you pick one that meets the listed specifications.

Google this group for "Toto" and/or "Toto Drake". Enjoy.

Reply to
Jeff

From experience! Some designs could have only been created by a woman, and never tested in the real world.

Reply to
EXT

Check carefully. In order to qualify for the rebate you may need to pull a building permit, which will cost money and possibly require more upgrades.

Reply to
Bob

The HD Glacier bay may be the cheapest , but it works, with its superduper large, micron superduper glazed, real slick, slippery lubbed "Super Trap" tm, its been tested by my mexicans drinking alot of Tequila, eating bean burritos, Habanerros , and beans for a year x

12 units without a clog, second flush, or even a complaint. [ Bet they didnt want the embarsasment] Yea, Chinas cheaper China is cheap, but they said. " any load goes and flows, even 2 elephant`s asses worth" they said that, and I believed them, Gee thats a room full ! For only 59.95 Without Rebate on an old unit, I was sold !. In China they call them "Shit Suckers" since there are few toilets in China , even the olympics were to be a hole to sqaut into. , its called taking a Dump there.
Reply to
ransley

147$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.lga...

say that if you have a big family or a small child and do you want to wake people up all nite long, with a jet engine starting?

Reply to
hallerb

I also vote for the Kohler Wellworth. I got a round seat, and it&#39;s comfortable too. I use mine on a first floor, but the brand is a good one, and it flushes great. The other one I got is also a Kohler Wellworth, and got semi-plugged up once. I used a plunger on it and it was fixed. It did NOT overflow either, like my old one.

Reply to
annezie