need galvanized finish nails for exterior, right?

I just bought a Bostitch 15 gauge finish nailer for some exterior trim work. Bought some Bostitch nails. They say they're 'coated.' I emailed Bostitch and they say the coating is not galvanized but just a glue coating that helps in removal. They said to use stainless nails for exterior.

Unfortunately the stainless nails are 4 times the price.

I presume I need galvanized nails for exterior work, right? I'll be using this with both wood and PVC trim.

I may just return the Bostitch and get something else for which galvanized nails are available.

Reply to
ben

I'm sure I've bought galvanized nails that fit the Bostitch finish nailer--don't recall that they were necessarily Bostitch, however; I've used several over the years.

But, none of the galvanized I've ever seen for power nailers are very long-lasting as compared to a good regular nail--can't put that much galvanizing on them and have them still feed.

If it's painted, set them and putty and they'll be fine, likely. But, if you want auto-drive and no chance of rust, SS is your choice, price or no...

--

Reply to
dpb

Bostich is correct, use the stainless. Anything else will darken the trim, possibly streak and who wants that?

Reply to
Phisherman

Keep in mind that there is galvanized and there is GALVANIZED. The first is electro-plated and applies a nice, uniform and very thin coat of zinc which won't last long. The second is hot dipped and applies a thick, non--uniform coating which endures for a long time but which is unlikely to be able to be used with a nailer. Use stainless.

Reply to
dadiOH