Need first new roof

My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around 25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.
What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new roof?
I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month. Would a contractor be likely to do that?
The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the last month.

Contractors don't do payments, bank do. They may hook you up with a bank but you'd do better on your own with a Home Equity loan.
Price depends on your market, but I'd guess at $8000 give or take a grand or two. Get the best shingle grade you can. Labor cost will be the same and you get a better roof.

On 7/20/2013 5:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My last asphalt shingle roof was about $9000 on a 1700 sq ft house with a pitched roof. That was with 30yr shingles.
The $1200 may cover the insurance premium.
They ain't cheap.
On Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:00:29 PM UTC-4, JD wrote:

Here in NJ the going rate for a tear-off, 30 year architectural shingles, 15# felt, water barrier at eaves, drip edge, ridge vent is about $285 a square. That would be $5130 for your roof.
Basic 3 tab shingles are only about 25% less than the cost of architectural shingles. And that is just the cost of the shingles, which for your roof, the arch shingles would be $100 a square, or $1800. So, you'd only save about $450 on a $5000 job. If resale, look, longevity, wind resistance, etc are of any importance, I think it's a mistake to use a 3 tab today.
Look through the threads here for the past couple weeks. There was another thread from a guy in VA who got quotes that were significantly less than the rate here in NJ. Some were so low, I can't imagine how anyone could stay in business and do it at those prices. But I'm also sure that NJ is one of the most expensive around and we're also still inflated from all the Sandy work.

ot typically. You might find some big national or regional contractor outfits that do home remodeling and offer terms. But the typical roofer isn't going to do it. And I'd bet that most of the ones that do offer financing, you'd probably be better off with someone else.

Roofs are not measured by degrees of pitch but by the rise in 12 inches. My roof is 5:12, it goes up 5" for every foot, which is equivalent to 22.5 degrees, give or take. A roof that is 15 degrees, is quite low and may be lower than most roof shingles are rated for. No matter, you may find that you need some extra underlay materials or special shingles to work on that roof and this will affect the cost. Going cheap may result in a roof that has problems with rain in high winds depending on where you are. You need to check out several local roofers for price, recommendations and materials they will use. Don't go cheap or you will be doing this again a just a few years.
JD wrote:

We just recently replaced this roof in East TN for a total cost of $7200. http://s186.photobucket.com/user/83lowrider/media/House/1eba.jpg.html?sort=2&o=1
There IS a local roofer running commercials for monthly payments, but I believe the payments were $289 a month. That will likely vary according to size and is probably an average price. YMMV.

Why did you replace that roof? It look great. ;-)

We have a local contractor who advertises on the radio all the time. It doesn't matter what the job is, new 30 year roof - "Only $189 a month"; vinyl replacement windows - "Only $189 a month"; complete basement remodeling - "Only $189 a month".
Aside from whatever game he's playing with the cost, the commercials are so boring and repetitive I'd never hire the guy. I know that writing commercials and putting on a roof are a million miles apart, but if he can't figure out how to be more creative with his radio ads - like maybe hire someone else to do them? - then I have a feeling he can't be very creative on the job. I'm probably making a bad assumption, but a bad first impression means a lot.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 13:44:25 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I'd never trust an outfit like that. The $189 a month is probably for 50 years at 29.9% interest.
We get commercials for Empire Carpet. "I only paid for this much carpet (showing small portion of a room), but I got this much (showing full room)" A 60% off sale, Sure.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The picture is 14 years old and the first pic I took of our then 'new' house. Being on top of a mountain, we get massive abuse from the weather.
For about a thousand extra bucks, the roofer would have done us a metal roof.... but I got scared at the last minute and opted for the shingles.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:30:30 -0400, "83LowRider"

Not a bad price on the metal. I looked into it and it was $15,000 more so I just told the guy to leave. Maybe others would have been more reasonable but I was turned off by the price.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The guys that did the job actually worked under a local business that also produces the metal roofing and other various metal sheeting.

First call would be to insurance company as they should pick up most of the cost. They may also have a list of contractors they would suggest you use. That would be a good first cut, but you may want to find more. Round up the usual suspects such as BBB, etc. Our area had a lot of hail damage recently and the some of the guys coming through the addition had local phone numbers but out of state plates on their trucks. That would be a 100% no-no in my mind.
On 7/21/2013 7:51 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

After a hail storm some local companies, with good references, will contract with non-local contractors. It becomes a bit of a crap shoot, but the reputation of the local company is still on the line.
That's what happened to me after a hail storm and the non-local contractor screwed up the flashing around the fireplace chimney. After several attempts, the local contractor finally fixed it. No harm done, other than it was frustrating.

I wish I had insurance.

Free house? Paid cash? If not, how did you get a mortgage without insurance?

Paid cash 5 years ago. Times were better then.

Sounds like a home equity loan or line of credit is in your future because I doubt you'll get a new roof for $1200.
Good luck. I mean that.