need advice on new microwave

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
My over the stove, built in Hotpoint Microwave gave out after 23 years. Wow. Made in Korea too.
Now I'd rather pay twice as much and have something last 10 times as long. I am allergic to 3C (cheap Chinese crap).
Anyone know of a long lived Japanese or American made over the stove built in microwave that they like?
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Todd wrote:

Is GE American?
On 12/14/13 7:16 AM, badgolferman wrote:

I don't have the foggiest idea. Aren't Hotpoint and GE connected? Consumer Reports top three rated models are GE though.
GE Profile PVM9215SFSS $550 Rating 80 GE JVM3160RFSS $250 Rating 75 GE JVM7195SFSS $400 Rating 75
The middle one is rated a Best Buy due to price and points rating.
On 12/14/2013 8:16 AM, badgolferman wrote:

Corporate GE is in the USA, but microwaves are not US made. I'm 98% sure they are made in Korea. The instructions are printed in Korea.
I read a few years back that all MW are built by three manufacturers, Sharp being one of them. Don't recall the others.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, I know for sure Hotpoint(part of GE) was made by LG in Korea. Soon there will be something to replace MW cooking.
On 12/14/2013 11:01 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Just checked mine. It is a GE made in Korea in 2001. It is also a convection oven, very handy to have that capability at times. It has been good so far.
I'm surprised the Advantium with halogen has not taken off more by now. Allegedly much faster than MW alone.

The only REAL advantage to the addition of the Hologen is it allows one to BROWN things as they bake

Life with a microwave. Started out in 1970 with my Heathkit. I did not have a microwave in the late 70's living alone. I didn't seem to mind.
Around 1979 I acquired two used norelco boxes. One sort of worked. The seller could not get I working without grounded outlet. I found that out. I never fully used the box. I was unique in it had a browning element and temperature probe. I broke down and converted to a mechanical 10 minute timer. My father loved that box. It was just like the Heathkit control.
In current house, I have a over the stove combo unit. I don't use the turbo function because preheat takes too long. It's a sears/ge unit, but the microwave is only about 900 watts. It's good though. The controls are very fancy, dial for selections. You can add subtract time in real time.
On the side I have Panasonic inverter being used or 8 years. It's great for speed, higher power. This old unit does NOT turn on the light when you open the door, bitch. It's also got true power control, which can be handy.
Greg

SNIP
Our "Made in Korea" GE Profile/Spacemaker microwave was installed in May, 2003 and has been used half a dozen times/day since then. It's doing great. All I've done is replace the interior bulb once and the bulbs that light the stove top below twice.
Tomisc
On 12/15/13, 12:50 PM, = wrote:

Haven't read the whole thread... but for the record, our counter top 1,200W made in Thailand (build date Aug 09) Sharp R-320H has seen heavy daily use, is easy to clean and regularly leaves smiles on our faces.
We're usually not big 'auto function' fans and/or users... but this one has loads of them that work astoundingly well. Baked Potato, Fresh Vegetable, Frozen Vegetable, 'Frozen Entrees' (ie TV dinners), Ground Meat, Rice and Chicken Breast. additional 'sensor controlled' functions are (leftovers) reheat and Popcorn. All are easy to use, and return outstanding results.
It has a other settings for hot water including soup/s and the like, another for near boiling water, and one for warming rolls... plus a bunch of well thought out built in defrost settings.
We use it's easy to set/use kitchen timer feature sometimes multiple times a day (but you can't use the µwave unless it's stopped/cancelled first.)
The one thing I don't like is the way power levels other than 100% get entered: you first key in the time, then you must hold (or repeatedly press) the power level key until the desired level scrolls down in the display. I much preferred our old Magic Chef method of entering the time, pressing the power level key, then the desired level number key, 0 through 9.
The Sharp can also can be easily programed for mid cycle power level changes & delayed starts... (An example cook on high for 6 minutes, another 6 minutes @ 50%, and a 0% power 'hold time' of 3 minutes... and the item is ready for the table when it beeps.)
Erik
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:16:23 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Nope.
On 12/14/2013 8:16 AM, badgolferman wrote:

Back when Archie Bunker was driving cab, it probably was. As to Todd and the microwave, a second hand shop might have one. Calls to the store are likely to get met with blank looks. Wonder if there is a web page out there, Google might find?
Didn't Japan just have a tsunami and nuclear plant accident? They will be in pain for a long time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Hey, Archie was a great role model. :-)
On 12/14/2013 1:35 AM, Todd wrote:

You won't find an American made. We have a GE only because it is the only one my wife liked to match the stove. Been god for about 7 years now, but that does not mean new ones are good or bad.
On 12/14/2013 8:30 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

With the strive for cheap, might not be any good units for sale, new, in stores. I despair of ever getting quality anything again. Wonder if you can get Amish made microwaves?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/14/2013 01:35 AM, Todd wrote:

Good luck with that. I think they are all made in Chinese prison factories.

I would look for a Whirlpool Accuwave or a Panasonic inverter model as they cook food more evenly.
On 12/14/2013 8:55 AM, Alex wrote:

Got a Panasonic inverter model a couple of weeks ago. We like it but don't know how long it might last.
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:46:16 -0500, Frank

We bought a new inverter model too - to replace the old (28 years) one my wife was always afraid was going to fail. I told her the old one would quite likely still be working by the time the new one gave up, but you know women ----. Couldn't give the old one away because everyone thought the same as she did - so I scrapped it.
On 12/14/13 12:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My Litton Meal in One 500 is still working. I think it's from about 1978. It needed a fuse once but has been trouble free other than that. No worries here about possible failure. I did a bit of snooping about microwaves. We can thank Percy Spencer from Raytheon for them. He was working around radar and noticed his Mr. Goodbar melted in his pocket. An experimenter quickly learned cooking an egg in its shell wasn't a good plan. I wonder what the percentage of inventions created by accident is compared to the deliberately invented ones. Inspiration is there in either case probably.
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:59:32 -0600, Dean Hoffman

I'd say likey about 3:1. Looking for one thing and stumble accross something totally different. A failure becomes a huge success.