Need advice on home inspection

Page 2 of 2
Good inspectors will notice telltale signs of serious problems, but I agree that if a problem was recently covered up it will be difficult to detect.
On a side note, I saw a consumer show on TV that hired 3 competent professional inspectors and had them go through the same house separately. All 3 reports were significantly different, problems were picked-up by some, but not others, some known but hidden problems were not detected. Then they had the 3 inspectors meet to try to reach an agreement. It was fun to watch the discussions, there were some very different opinions about what was major/minor depending on the specific experience of each inspector. Each had some good useful advice.
In conclusion, I think that any inspection will have some hit and misses, and that in the end it's up to the buyer to be confident enough to take the risk or pass on the property.
wrote:

very
vision,
identify
will not

scribbled this interesting note:

First off a good home inspection should take far longer than a couple of hours.
In my experience the hidden and not-so-obvious problems are the ones that need to be found because they are the ones that will cost the most to fix and are usually the most hazardous. I've walked through houses that have been "inspected" and it seems that most of the inspection time was spent poking a moron meter into every plug in the house to check for polarity. Paying someone $300.00 to stick a $25.00 meter into every plug in the house seems a bit much to me.
If the home inspector isn't qualified to comment on the state of the complete electrical system, the hvac system, the plumbing system, the foundation, the roof, the structural system, then what good is that inspector? If all the inspector does is walk through a house, tell the buyer some plugs may be wired incorrectly, point out a drippy faucet or two, and say the dwelling needs a smoke alarm, then that "inspector" is an unqualified idiot who needs to go to work as a door greeter at Wal-Mart.
IM surpised tony ransley isnt doin his job here! just got his nose everywhere else instead