My hot attic - conclusion

Page 2 of 2
Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead - the heatpump seems to be working just fine. It comes on, air that's cooler then the room comes out of the vent, it runs for a while (sorry, I was just guessing at the time), the room cools down, it shuts off. Then the room warms back up again (quicker than I'd like) and it starts all over.
The guy I talked too said since the duct work is in the attic too, based on it's insulation R-Factor, the heat pump is working extra hard cooling down the air from the return, which has warmed up some on it's way to the exchanger thanks to the hot attic. By lowering the temperature in the attic, even if it's a small amount, the return air will cool down too, and the heat pump will be able to do it's job easier. Plus lowering the temperature in the attic will help keep the bonus room cooler longer after the heat pump turns off, which means it won't come back on as quickly.
On a side note, the bonus room sits over the garage. It too was very hot during the day, but thankfully it has 2 windows. I placed a window fan in one window, and opened the other half way. Big difference in the garage, which should have reduced the heat in the bonus room too, albiet slightly, but every degree helps.
steve
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I wouldn't bother with the attic vents. The temperature in the attic you mentioned doesn't seem that high at all. The heat pump sounds like it is working fine.
The problem you mentioned is that the bonus room heats up to quickly, causing the heat pump to come on again sooner than you would like.
It sounds like the real problem is heat gain in the bonus room. Can you find some ways to address that? Is there insulation below the bonus room but above the garage ceiling? Are the walls & ceiling of the bonus room insulated? Are there windows in the bonus room that could benefit from blinds or window tint?
Insulation can be blown under the floor, into the walls and above the room if you discover that it was somehow left out during construction....
Where do you live? Does it get cold there during the winter? Do you have problems with the heat pump running a lot to heat this room during the winter?
I would guess you are not in the frozen north if you have a heat pump.
Steve Kulpa wrote:

Don't know about any insulation between the floor of the bonus room and the garage ceiling as I have no access there. I did notice a slight improvment in the bonus room when I cooled the garage down, so maybe there's none? I DO know there's plenty of insulation everywhere else as I can see it from inside the attic.
I live in Nashville. No problem in the winter, the room stays very comfortable. Enough anyway that I'm not concerned. It does get cold, but not too many days near zero, but many between zero and 20. It's the summer and the heat that's driving me crazy.
The attic vents are a done deal, the guy comes on Monday to install them. I HAVE to lower the temp in the attic, period, and it's just not getting done w/ the way it's currently set up. I want some usable storage space (not much, just some), and I want the bonus room to not be so warm (3 of it's 4 walls have attic space opposite them, 1 majorly).
If the bonus room was not ajacent to the hot attic, and it's heat pump was not in the attic, then I'd blow off the storage space and live with it. But it's not and we use the bonus room every day as that's the play room we 'baby-proofed' for our 1-year-old, and I just don't like the way it currently is (temperature wise).
We have blinds and curtians on the window too - it's the &%@(&# attic that's making it so darn hot up there.
I've considered alternatives, and looked into everything else I could try. Powered vents to force some of the hot air out (and cooler fresh air in) sounds like a viable soultion. I'm not looking to make it a living space, just a cool it down a bit (or maybe a lot?).
steve
twstanley wrote:

Steve Kulpa wrote:

Sounds like twstanley put his finger on it; the most likely source of the problem is heat gain from the garage, most likely due to the lack of adequate flooring insulation in the bonus room. Heat gain from the attic through insulated (R-6 or better) ductwork isn't significant. I doubt that power venting the attic will do anything to change the situation.
Steve Kulpa wrote:

Bingo! The problem is the heat coming into the room and a lot of it is coming in from the garage.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Steve Kulpa wrote: <snip> Yesterday the temp reached

I'd be thrilled if I could keep my attic temperature as low as 112 F.