MC
Add pictures here
✖

*You need new batteries or you can get yours rebuilt at voltmanbatteries.com
Add pictures here
✖

http://primecell.com/pctools.htm
they do a excellent job with cell far better than the original ones when they were new.
very affordable too
as to wood hardness..... old wood is super dry whch probably makes it harder.
lus old wood grew slower, the growth rings were close together, the wood stronger than the tree farms of today, where the trees grow super fast
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 2, 10:41 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The old wood might be douglas fir, well dried. Before you chuck the battery make sure it's just not a "charge memory" problem. When people re-charge batteries without letting them go completely dead first, over time, the charge becomes increasingly "shallow", its called "charge memory" (or something like that). Completely drain the old battery so it wont spin the drill at all with no load, let it cool, then give it a full deep charge. If that doesn't work then its the battery.
Add pictures here
✖

I am doing that now. I have a clamp on the trigger and completely kill the battery then I will recharge to see what happens.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Which will possibly reverse charge the weaker cells, causing them to vent and die.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 2, 1:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Nicads are dead when the drill slows, drain it 100% by force and a cell can reverse polarity. Just get it rebuilt
Add pictures here
✖

Don't........Never completely drain any multiple cell nicad battery pack. That is the surest way to damage a battery pack.
Did you leave the batteries on a charger when not in use? If not in what state did you leave the batteries, charged or uncharged? How long between uses?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:39:49 -0800 (PST), RickH

    Memory is not much of a problem with modern batteries. At least some B&D chargers have a re-condition cycle that could be tried.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/2/2009 1:44 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

It's a problem with all nickel-cadmium batteries, no matter how "modern". It's an unfortunate consequence of the chemistry that can't be engineered away.
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:41:52 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

They just get weaker as they age.
I have two 9v Makitas, one bought in 2002 when the original 1995 batteries went bad on the first one. A drill and 2 batteries was about the same price as 2 batteries then. Recently I found a guy in the net who sold me new batteries, better than the original (more AH) for $35 or so and it is like having a brand new drill. I forgot how well a new one works.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 2, 3:53�pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

primecell price is a bargain]
9.6 Volts Replace NICD with high capacity upgrade $ 25.00
Add pictures here
✖

Just watch the shipping. Sometimes that kills a good deal.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:44:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

primecell is a family business.
visit the site.
from the FAQ
We are listed at D&B as Cunard Associates Inc. located in Bedford, Pennsylvania.
The division dealing with rechargeable products is called Primecell.
The company is a small, privately owned corporation. We have been involved with the rechargeable battery business since 1986.
We qualify as a small, woman owned business. Sandy is the owner - manager - and she allows us to work for her.
Our size grants us the flexibility to deal with even the smallest of customers (one battery at a time), or the largest ( In the world ).
We operate as a mail order service company, and have no store front to visit, which minimizes our overhead cost.
We are located in the foothills of the Allegheny mountains, in South Central Pennsylvania, we love it here, as have the five generations who passed before us.
Our rebuilding service has often been renowned as "better than new".
We consider our skills of our craft, and the quality of our product, to be the lasting evidence of our life's work.
If a task is considered worth while - we believe that it must be done well, or not done at all.
Our equipment is of the best design, and made by reputable manufacturers. All of our equipment is maintained to be in perfect condition, and in adequate quantity, for immediate business expansion when required.
We have developed many proprietary methods and process' that are unique to our business.
These methods and specialized equipment, allow the opening of the battery cases, the replacement of internal components, and the sealing of the cases to perform and appear to be as good as new.
There have been instances of customers who have received the serviced product - and immediately call us to report that we could not have opened the case.
Once they learn that it has truly been serviced, and experience the performance which works better than new - the question is always ... how do you do that?
It is our pleasure to hear the remark, and our duty to decline any comment. Requests to see the operation or to learn of the processes employed are politely refused.
Our satisfied customer list includes: AT&T, NASA, GE Motor Division, Paragon Cable, TCI, All American Pipeline, Caterpillar, Lufkin, and many others.
It also includes literally thousands of individuals, Hams, Paramedics, Fire Departments, American Red Cross, Construction Contractors, and Municipal law enforcement departments. The value of Amateur Radio is appreciated (KB3TR), so we understand the needs and interests of the Ham.
We have compiled rebuild specifications for over 1000 different battery applications, and the list just keeps getting larger every day.
We like what we do, and look forward to serving your needs.
Give us a try, it is our intention to make you a happy customer.
Primecell Service Team.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 2, 11:41 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Um, yeah. That's what happens when the batteries start getting weak. You won't have as much torque even with a fully charged battery because it's not as "fully charged" as it was when new.
Add pictures here
✖
I find drill batteries last two years. Doesn't seem to matter what brand. I've never tried Primecell for rebuilding. I will, one of these days. I've got a 14.4 Makita that isn't holding charge.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

the first set of 9.6V sticks for my Makita 6095 lasted 10 yrs,until I stopped using them frequently. IMO,NiCds are "use them or lose them".

Does Makita now sell lithium packs and charger for your model? Those hold a charge much longer,much lower self-discharge.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Mar 2, 10:41 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I was going to use one of the rebuilding services for my old crapsman drill but now I think I'll just buy the sub-c soldertab batteries and do it myself.
Add pictures here
✖

I have the same drill bought new in 1998. Batteries lasted til 2005. I got the weakest one "rebuilt".. It only lasted a few months so I waited til the whole DeWalt 12V drill "kit " went on sale for $ 60.00 and picked one up. Both Lowes and HD wanted $ 100.00 for two batteries alone.
Now I have two good batteries and one charger for the garage and one in the basement. (I also have the brand new drill, still in the original box)
Add pictures here
✖