My backup power solution -- critique wanted.

Page 2 of 4
On 18 Aug 2003 13:54:37 GMT, Ignoramus3934

Some things I learned about surge protectors: The charger is very slow and gentle, and usually charges in the low 13v range. I suppose this is to increase battery life. Therefore, the battery will probably not deliver its rated AH. The battery is most likely an LC type, not gel. That's a good thing.
Bob
wrote: <SNIP>

<SNIP>
Lead calcium & gel are not mutually exclusive terms; one refers to plate alloy & the other refers to the electrolyte. LC gel batteries are available.
As the OP confirmed, he has AGM, not gel, batteries. That's probably a good thing.
R, Tom Q.

I have just ordered a battery isolator/switch for two batteries, it has four positions: off, Battery 1, Both, Battery 2. I will report when I create my backup solution. After I am done with it, I will go back to repairing my diesel generator. It is very nice to have two backup solutions.
Tom, I understand that if I directly connect two batteries in a very different state of charge, the current may be very high. But what if I hypothetically connect two well charged batteries directly? Then I guess that is safe, right?

and
its
I once had the same idea about using a car battery on an APC brand UPS unit for camping and extended power outages. But I found that it used 4 gel batteries hooked up in a series/ parallel scheme so that the battery output internally to the UPS is 24VDC. This would require 2 car batteries wired in series which is not feasible for me. Also there is no external cutoff switch for that blasted warning beeper. Kevin
On 19 Aug 2003 13:01:18 GMT, Ignoramus32317

Correct. The lowest charge battery will always try to bring itself up to the level of the highest charged, until they reach equilibrium. There are ways to prevent this such as the large diode Battery Isolators found on most motor homes and such, but if simply hooked together, the inrush current can be damned high.
Gunner
"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." -- P.J O'Rourke (1989) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:14:47 -0700, Tim May

Jesus, Tim, you're replying before I can see my post on my own news server. <g>
WRT E=IR, I agree. But, it's beyond my capabilities to determine the charge discharge characteristics of an AGM battery/flooded acid battery/NiCad using only E=IR and a pad of paper, so I look at the manufacturers spec sheets instead. Hopefully, their engineers confirm their results empirically after they calculate them. I trust empirical results more than theoretical. Of course, I'm a technician, not an engineer, so that might have something to do with it. Also, sometimes I forget to carry the one. <g>
R, Tom Q.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:02:32 -0400, Tom Quackenbush
<SNIP>

,which would come in handy in the _winter_ for my other lead acid batteries, as well.
R, Tom Q.

obviously I won't let them self discharge.

The battery bank is actually fed with more electricity from the truck alternator, at the time when it is loaded.

I was planning to connect the UPS, via its battery or separately, to the battery posts of my truck and let it idle. I have a heavy duty alternator, and I calculated that it will produce enough amps to support the hypothetical expected load, with the batteried handling surges.

That is a very heavy sucker. Even without batteries it must be very difficult to lift. I handled a few 3.1 KVA units.

I like it too.

I would just rotate which batteries are getting charged.

Actually Ernie, V = IR also works for AC circuits. Replace "R" with "Z" (meaning "impedance"). Thus V = IZ is valid for alternating signals (as the notation that physicists use, rather than E=IZ).
For common resistors, Z = R, thus no modifications are needed for AC circuits involving only resistive elements.
(in other words, the impedance need only be modified to account for the inclusion of inductors and capacitors in the circuit. Further, most circuits can be modelled as a combination of these 3 elements).

Perhaps someone will refer Ernie for instruction on the English language.

That's probably why Tim kill-filed you, Ernie. He's a _very_ patient sort of fellow, especially when dealing with trolls.
--
Charles Scripter * snipped-for-privacy@progworks.net www.infinetivity.com/~cescript
When encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir rapelcgvba.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Utter bullshit. Learn the difference between power and energy.
Nick

Didn't your good Mormon Mommy teach you not to swear? Great example you set for your religion promotion <grin?>
CM
Jesus called people ravening wolves, or hypocrites as the need showed itself. Why should I be any better?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:54:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Then quit identifying yourself as LDS if you're not going to live up to it.
And configure your Outlook editor for standard text.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:52:53 -0400, "Michael Baugh"

Ernie is a troll in misc.survivalism. Please don't feed the trolls. It makes them worse than they already are.
This WAS an interesting thread .... emphasis on the word WAS!
Bob Brock wrote:

I've only posted once in this thread to ask everyone to ignore him. His tactic is to commit threadjackings by making them about him and his ideas on God regardless of what the topic was initally.
Look at the bright side of it, I assume that you are reading from somewhere besides misc.survivalism So, he only messed up one thread in your ng. In misc.survivalism, he does it to almost every thread and it's feels like its been going on forever.
This is my last reply in this thread regarding ernie. Reply if you like, but I'm about to filter the thread. Once ernie threadjacks them, they are no longer worth following.

I'll only comment on this once.
Regardless of WHAT group it is on, it is just as unacceptable for those who have no religeous beliefs, or anti Christian beliefs to spout their claptrap as it is for those who do have a belief system to in any way mention theirs. Christianity is not a religion - it is a way of life - and it will ALWAYS be evident in one way or another in a Christian's life.
Just the same, non belief, or heathenism, or whatever is a way of life. It also will be evident in one way or another in the life of those who follow this lifestyle. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Your lifestyle includes off colour jokes, cussing, denying the existance of a supreme being, or whatever? Fine. Keep it off these newsgroups. No more a place for YOUR beliefs than his.
If you are not willing to censor your own posts, please do not censor the posts of others.

He's also a troll in misc.rural and alt.energy.homepower, and I've learned from first-hand experience that while he might seem like he can be reasoned with, it's just a ploy to waste more of your time.
(Don't bother replying, erniegalts, you're in the new program's killfile too.)
Dave Hinz