Muriatic Acid Before Tiling?

Page 2 of 2

Greg Esres wrote:

the contractor did the rest. No suggestion made as to cleaning it. Is it bare concrete? In living area?
Norminn wrote:
<<Is it bare concrete? In living area? >>
Underneath the carpet, yes.
Greg Esres wrote:

installations, or only for special conditions? What concentration? I have used muriatic once, on concrete, outdoors, per label, in preparation for sealing a deck. It is NOT something I would even consider using inside my home.
<<Does your book recommend muriatic acid onthe concrete for all installations, or only for special conditions? >>
It says if the surface is smooth. 1:4 ratio.

That was my take on it. But I tested a few square feet on basement floor. Not for me, and I got no wife, no kids.
Much less dangerous outdoors (if you stay down-wind).
Do they still tile etc basement floors in new houses? Do they first treat with acid? My guess is "Not".
Sounds like the OP needs an experienced flooring guy for a consult. Match the right adhesive with his floor. I just went out and bought name-brand adhesive years ago and regretted it.
Good Luck, Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
Update on old thread:
Turns out the thinset I bought (MAPEI) says that acid etching is "not recommended". I've found the same recommendation (or non- recommendation) on similar products. My tiling book information appears unreliable.