multiple roofs

My house is very tall and I don't have a ladder, or don't believe they make one tall enough, to get to the very top. Is there a product that will lock my ladder onto the first roof to get to the second? Anyone's help is greatly appreciated.
MarkK wrote:

Well, you can get 40-ft plus extension ladders, so there is probably on made long enough to get to the top roof eaves. Unless the roof is a very steep pitch it won'r be able to reach the ridge, however, owing to the large setback you'd need in all likelihood.
You can tie off the base of a regular ladder on the lower roof, certainly. W/ wood shingled roofs here, I simply nail a piece of tubaX down and then tie it off against it. For a composition roof it's probably best to arrange to fasten the tieoffs from the wall or other solid object rather than go through the shingles.

The only thing I've seen watching this old house for 25 years, is one of two things:
1. Attached scaffolding on the roof, and then a ladder from there. 2. Ladder with that U shaped attachement on the top, that can be temporarily attached/drilled to the roof, and I guess there is one at the bottom to.
I'd suggest you go to some ladder websites. If there's a need, someone will be selling it, and also call a few contracter rental places.
HTH
--
bd

I\'m listening!

In the long run, it's probably cheaper to just cut a hatch in the roof, or put in an openable skylight.
Goedjn wrote:

Yeech!!

You might shoot a weight attached to a rope over the ridge with a slingshot and tie it to a tree or a car on the other side and walk up the rope with some sort of prusik or mechanical ascender arrangement.
Nick

Anybody that has to ask how to do something like this, probably should NOT be trying to do it themselves, at least not based on Internet advice. IOW, if something up there needs attention, pay a pro, at least the first time, and see how they get up there.
Of course they make ladders and/or scaffolds that tall. How does OP think the place was built in the first place?
Standard disclaimer- this isn't a flame against OP- not everyone had the advantage of growing up in the business (like I did), and everyone has to learn somehow. But gravity, at 32'/sec sq., is a damn harsh teacher. As an immortal kid, I did plenty of high work like that, but now that even minor injuries take an irritatingly long time to heal up, I'd probably pay to get any repairs over 20 feet off the ground done.
aem sends...
Maybe you could get some tips from.. http://www.semiagre.org/amusement.htm and http://www.mpam.gr/fun/photos/safety_at_work / and if you have the powerpoint viewer, prowerpoint, star office or open office, see... http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/gadgetryblog/Safetyatwork.pps
bucket truck rental unless you are a fearless roof monkey. but if your knees knock on a 2 story 32 foot ladder, imagine the thrills up on a 40 foot ladder. see home depot rentals for some stuff. no more roofs for me unless they are flat after i slid down a 45 degree asphalt shingled 2-1/2 story house roof when the fine gravel surface of it softened on a nice sunny day and my feet stopped at the gutter.