multimeter

I'm in the market for a new multimeter. Almost decided on the Fluke 112 but then saw the Craftsman Model #81079. Does anyone know who makes the Craftsman and if it is any good?
Thanks!
The Fluke will last for decades of heavy use. The Craftsman will last a while if you occasionally use it.
Unless you have a need for the fancy-schmancy features (frequency, capacitance, duty cycle, etc.) I'd advise that you buy the simpler unit. (Like a Fluke 110 or the good old standby, the Fluke 73, I think they're in the Sears catalog too.).
Tim.
Nope.
But after my experiences with buying Kenmore appliances (regardless of who actually manufactures them), I made a promise to God that I would try to talk anyone and everyone out of buying anything at Sears.
And so, even though I've never seen theCraftsman #81079, I must tell you it is complete crap and will break down within a month of it's purchase, you will schedule repair calls time and again, only to have no one show up, show up 6 hours later than they said they would, show up and "not have that part" on their truck, or show up and tell your your multimeter needs a new motor when this is plainly wrong as your multimeter will agitate and spin just fine; it's just that it won't complete a cycle.
So then you will probably end up calling customer support, looking for a supervisor and then finding out there really aren't any, and even if their were, none of them would give a damn about you or your new multimeter.
On the other hand, if your Fluke won't complete a cycle, make a phone call and a new one will be on the way.
I say go with the Fluke.
Back in 96, I worked for Shears for 4 weeks. I wasn't impressed. Over priced, and poor service.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
bubba wrote:

but
Fluke and the carftsman are nice meters but do you really use all those functions and need that accuracy?
I have a Fluke I have had for years but lately have been buying those from Harbor Freight as they are "good enough".
bubba wrote:

The UL or CSA registration number may tell. See www.ul.com or www.csa.ca.
I don't think that Fluke meters are better, except for high accuracy (0.2% or better), warranty, and availability of replacement parts. I have a Fluke 73 that works fine, but a set of contacts in its rotary switch once fell off (I had to mash its plastic pins with a soldering iron to hold the contacts in place), and my cheapo house brand meter from MCM Electronics/Newark electronics was priced much lower and has more features, like a serial link for an RS-232 port and the ability to record minimum and maximum values (good for tracking down intermittent problems).
The choice is like buying a Sears power tool over something like Porter Cable (or others). You might get lucky, you might not. I found out that for hand tools, Sears is ok since you can replace them forever. I bought a recipricating saw at Sears and after 14 months the thing broke. I bought the parts to fix it but it never rally worked after that. I ended up buying a Milwaukee Super Sawzall and have had it for 7 years now (it has a Milwaukee lifetime warranty). My point is I as I get older I get tired of messing around with marginal stuff. I bought a Fluke 111 on ebay and have been happy with it. I don't know what would happen if I bought an unknown brand, but I do know what I usually get with the better name brands. My 2 cents.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (borgunit) wrote:

I notice that as I get older - I usually pay extra and get the better quality - probably only because I have the cash now. When I was younger and raising a family and covering my nut - I would always look for bargains out of necessity. I do not think I am any smarter or wiser now - I just have more money to throw at a problem :-)
I like to buy good things to avoid the hassle. One of my teachers always told me - it only costs a quarter to go first class. I thought he meant 25 cents - I guess he meant 25% more. :-)
Harry