multimeter

I'm in the market for a new multimeter. Almost decided on the Fluke 112 but then saw the Craftsman Model #81079. Does anyone know who makes the Craftsman and if it is any good?

Thanks!

Reply to
bubba

The Fluke will last for decades of heavy use. The Craftsman will last a while if you occasionally use it.

Unless you have a need for the fancy-schmancy features (frequency, capacitance, duty cycle, etc.) I'd advise that you buy the simpler unit. (Like a Fluke 110 or the good old standby, the Fluke 73, I think they're in the Sears catalog too.).

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Nope.

But after my experiences with buying Kenmore appliances (regardless of who actually manufactures them), I made a promise to God that I would try to talk anyone and everyone out of buying anything at Sears.

And so, even though I've never seen theCraftsman #81079, I must tell you it is complete crap and will break down within a month of it's purchase, you will schedule repair calls time and again, only to have no one show up, show up 6 hours later than they said they would, show up and "not have that part" on their truck, or show up and tell your your multimeter needs a new motor when this is plainly wrong as your multimeter will agitate and spin just fine; it's just that it won't complete a cycle.

So then you will probably end up calling customer support, looking for a supervisor and then finding out there really aren't any, and even if their were, none of them would give a damn about you or your new multimeter.

On the other hand, if your Fluke won't complete a cycle, make a phone call and a new one will be on the way.

I say go with the Fluke.

Reply to
Matt

Can't go wrong with fluke when it comes to test and measurement !

Take it from some> I'm in the market for a new multimeter. Almost decided on the Fluke 112 but

Reply to
CanadianCowboy

Fluke and the carftsman are nice meters but do you really use all those functions and need that accuracy?

I have a Fluke I have had for years but lately have been buying those from Harbor Freight as they are "good enough".

Reply to
Rich256

The UL or CSA registration number may tell. See

or

I don't think that Fluke meters are better, except for high accuracy (0.2% or better), warranty, and availability of replacement parts. I have a Fluke 73 that works fine, but a set of contacts in its rotary switch once fell off (I had to mash its plastic pins with a soldering iron to hold the contacts in place), and my cheapo house brand meter from MCM Electronics/Newark electronics was priced much lower and has more features, like a serial link for an RS-232 port and the ability to record minimum and maximum values (good for tracking down intermittent problems).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Back in 96, I worked for Shears for 4 weeks. I wasn't impressed. Over priced, and poor service.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The choice is like buying a Sears power tool over something like Porter Cable (or others). You might get lucky, you might not. I found out that for hand tools, Sears is ok since you can replace them forever. I bought a recipricating saw at Sears and after 14 months the thing broke. I bought the parts to fix it but it never rally worked after that. I ended up buying a Milwaukee Super Sawzall and have had it for 7 years now (it has a Milwaukee lifetime warranty). My point is I as I get older I get tired of messing around with marginal stuff. I bought a Fluke 111 on ebay and have been happy with it. I don't know what would happen if I bought an unknown brand, but I do know what I usually get with the better name brands. My 2 cents.

Reply to
borgunit

I notice that as I get older - I usually pay extra and get the better quality - probably only because I have the cash now. When I was younger and raising a family and covering my nut - I would always look for bargains out of necessity. I do not think I am any smarter or wiser now

- I just have more money to throw at a problem :-)

I like to buy good things to avoid the hassle. One of my teachers always told me - it only costs a quarter to go first class. I thought he meant

25 cents - I guess he meant 25% more. :-)

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart