mud rooms

Page 1 of 2
How long has this word(s) been around. I started watching some construction on tv and they give me the impression that the northern part of US (maybe Canada too) uses the term. Well I lived around construction while in NYC , Long Island and some NY state for a number of years (moved away in late 70's) and never heard the term then. Is a mud room similar to a foyer except it can be as a separate room?
Doug wrote:

Not IME. It is a room one enters - frequently via the back door - to remove galoshes and the like so you don't track mud, snow, whatever into the house. I am almost 79 and the phrase has been around as long as I can remember (and I remember back to when I was two).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 7/2/2012 1:51 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I'm in Ontario and mud room usually refers to a back room, either near garage, or from backyard, and mostly has a utility sink to clean up.
I've noticed a number of newer houses, esp in rural areas with larger lots, incorporate a mud room/bathroom or mudroom/laundry combo beside garage entrance.
but basically it's a small room near a back entrance so that you don't run into the kitchen and muddy things up there.

It can also function as a weather lock, keeping wind out if there are two doors. Good in cold climates.
Greg

Having grown up in NYC (Queens) I had never heard of the term "mud room" until I moved to western NY in the early 80's.
However, there may be a reason I never heard of them: None of the areas where I or any of my friends lived had the style of house where a mud room could have been included. We lived in row houses, side-by- side duplexes (not rentals, owner occupied on both sides), and of course, apartment buildings. None of these styles were really set up to have a mud room.
I do recall some houses having a small, enclosed back porch or the like where shoes, baseball gloves and other assorted items piled up, but we never referred to them as mud rooms.
Once I moved to western NY, my first memory of a mud room is of a room between a "semi attached" garage and the main house where dirty shoes and winter clothes could be removed. I later learned that they are simply a separate room accessed via a side or back door, sometimes doubling as a laundry room.
On 7/2/2012 1:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Of course there is...you couldn't have had any mud if you tried... :)

I played softball in an grocery store league for a few years. The games were played in a school yard with bases and baselines painted on the black top. Sliding sucked.
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:33:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I also grew up somewhat in Queens ... Flushing to be more exact. You basically described what I lived in then. I never lived upstate but frequented maybe once a year to visit relatives in Utica tho I have relatives in other parts of NY including western NY. Maybe that's why I never heard of it just like yourself???? Well everyone is educating me now. I now recall one of my aunts had a mud room on her house in Utica tho it was converted into a small kitchen but otherwise fits the description everyone so far described. I will read the remaining posts in this thread now. Thanks !!

Care to narrow it down even further? I too grew up in Flushing.
Spent lots of time playing football, frisbee and sledding on the grounds of Queens College when there still a lot of green space.
If you look out of my old front window now there's a glass and steel building instead of open field. Way, way back it was woods.
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:38:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I lived on Main Street and went to school at John Bowne HS. I used to love it when the college students came over to protest and held up traffic on Main Street in front of the High School.
Slightly off topic, a few years ago I was eating at a local restaurant in Houston, Texas and the woman at the next table started to talk to me. It turned out she and I both graduated from John Bowne HS the same year. She started to ask me if I knew so and so and unfortunately I didn't remember the names she threw at me.

I lived on Reeves Ave. As you may recall, Bowne was on the corner of Reeves and Main.
I went to PS 219 and JHS 218, but I went to Hillcrest HS in Jamaica. I did it as a favor for my Dad.
He was President of Bowne's PTA when they announced that every one who lived south of Jewel Ave had to go to Hillcrest when it opened. My dad got a lot heat from the parents of the kids who were going to have to Hillcrest, but there was nothing he could do about it. He asked me if I would willing to go there to show that it wasn't such a bad thing and I said yes.
I still hung out with all my friends who went to Bowne, but I got to make a whole new set of friends too. When I had days off from Hillcrest, I would sometimes go to class with my Bowne friends as a 'cousin' from out of town.
I still find it kind of cool that kids could go from kindergarten through Graduate School all on that one big block.

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 23:06:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Gosh, I forgot my elementary school name but it was not far from Booth Memorial Ave and Main Street. I also went to JHS 218 before Bowne. I started school in Flushing in the 6th grade. I went to 2 different elementary schools, one in Nassau Co. and then Flushing (6th grade). For some reason I don't remember either name but I bet if I google mapped it, I could find them. I think both are still standing.
I don't remember a lot from JHS but remember more from HS. I had a number of friends then and we had a large graduating class.

PS-120 perhaps. Less than a 1/4 mile from Booth Memorial Ave and Main Street, respectively.
http://tinyurl.com/PS120
I went to PS 120 for K-4 when we lived on Lawrence St. which was right down the block and closer to Flushing Meadows Park. The park is on the site of the 64 - 65 World's Fair. For 2 years we awoke at 6AM to the sound of pile drivers driving piles down into the marshes so they could build the Fair buildings. A constant Boom - Boom - Boom all day, sunrise to sunset.
We had a spot in the fence around the World's Fair where you could lift the bottom and roll under to sneak into the Fair.
On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 09:41:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Bingo, the moment you said PS 120, a bell went off in my head. Thanks for reminding me.
I too lived a few blocks away from the 64 World's Fair and went to it a couple of times. I didn't know tho about the spot in the fence tho :( darn. And I don't think I heard the construction of the WF because I came in late '64 to Flushing so I think it was already open then or about to be. It was nice to have it so close. And I remember after it closed, they kept the grounds nice ... well at least what I saw from the #7 subway.

So I'm driving around town yesterday and what do I see in front of me?
A 64 Impala with 64 NY World's Fair license plates!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NY-1964-64-Worlds-Fair-License-Plate-Antique-/370503127872
Now that's a spooky coincidence!
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 17:41:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

All I can say is WOW. Do you remember when the Mets won the pennant in 1969? Flushing went crazy honking horns a lot around Main Street. You could feel it in the air too <grin>.

Do I remember it? Sure...I was at the game!
Funny story too...
We were in Junior High at the time and cut school to go to the game. When the game was over all the fans ran down onto the field and many of us ripped up pieces of turf as souvenirs.
We had a science teacher that was huge Met fan. The next day we told her that we had missed her class because we went to the game, figuring she would be all excited.
The conversation went something like this:
Picture a teacher with a big smile on her face, talking to three really excited and proud teenagers.
Teach: Wow! Lucky you. I'll bet you had fun. Us: Sure did! Teach: Did you go down on the field? Us: Oh yeah! It was great! Teach: Did you get a piece of the turf? Us: Of course. I have a piece in my book bag. Do you want to see it? Teach: (No longer smiling) No. I want you to come back to my room after school for an extra assignment. I don't really mind that you cut my class to go to the game but I will not condone destruction of property. Do you know how much work they will have to do to fix the field for the next game?
Since it was a science class, she made us do a lab experiment about growing grass. If we didn't do it she was going to turn us in for cutting class. We were more afraid of the punishment for cutting than doing the experiment so we did it.
She got us good, playing the excited teacher and getting us to admit what we had done. Gotta give her credit!
On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 09:14:32 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Cute. I have a similar story but it involved a cop and different subject. Short story was I was rushing on some side roads to see something unusual and got stopped by a cop. He asked me why I was speeding and talked to me so long that he knew I would miss what I was speeding for and on top of that gave me a speeding ticket at the end of the long talk. He sorta got me twice that day. Anyway, I like your story. And don't worry, they build in the costs of what you did, into the ticket prices.

Whenever I get pulled over for speeding I always tell the cop to "Make it quick. Can't you see I'm in a hurry?"
On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:54:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I like it but the problem is ... will they listen?