Mower wobbles after blade hits rock.

'My Black&Decker electric mower was loan to friend. He ran the mower over several boulders several times, chipping a couple pearl size sections off the blade. Possibly, this is causing the mover to vibrate to the point of causing a shoulder sore. I remove the blade, then clamp it to a vise grip. I have an angle grinder that I will use to fix the balancing problem. The problem is, I've never done this before. What is a practical way to balance a mower blade? Thanks'

ME: The crankshaft has been damaged. Its not the blade. The mower is now history. See if your friend will go halves on another mower.

Reply to
HVAC fella

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the odds are that the severe vibration that you are experienceing is not due to an out of ballance blade. When a mower hits an object like a root, or rock or other obstruction, it often bends the crankshaft that the blade is attached to. This happened to my parents Honda mower when my son ran it into a rock and the repair guy told us that it is a common occurance. In their case it required a fairly expensive repair, the replacement of the crank shaft AND a new blade. You can try a new blade, and maybe you will get lucky, but if he hit rocks numerous times, I expect that the vibration will still be there with the new blade. They don't make the motors on mowers with heavy enough parts to be mowing rocks.

Reply to
Littleneckhalfshell

Drive a nail into one of the studs inside your garage. Leave about two inches of nail not pounded. Put the nail in horizontal.

Put the mower blade on the nail, with the nail going through the center hole of the blade. Let go of blade.

One end of the blade will sink towards the floor. That's the heavy end. Grind more metal off the heavy end.

Repeat. When blade balances level to ground, install onto mower. Leaving vise grip atached will nullify results of balancing test. Changes the magnetic flow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, that's almost a good idea, except unless the nail is exactly the same diameter as the blade's shaft, it won't be balanced....perpaps buy a new blade...It's a lot cheaper than dimwit moron dave's suggestion to buy a new mover

You know-------------the one with the CRANKSHAFT!

Reply to
fundies sux

shaking or the shaft is visibly

Certainly the first thing I'd do.

Reply to
WoofWoof

I dought it is the blade probably the rotor shaft, A new motor is in order but at the price of parts a new mower your idiot friend owes you. He wont be your friend now. And you wont loan out your stuff. My neighbor wanted to borrow my mower I said its broke, He borrowed someone elses and I heard him hitting rocks for an hour stalling his loaner mower.

Dave HVac electric motors dont have Crankshafts.

Reply to
m Ransley

dave must be smokin' crank to be so friggin stupid

Reply to
dave is an HVAC IDIOT