Mower motor won't spin

Page 3 of 3
On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 9:59:11 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

the

rd

de.

does not

ses it

Then what does the manual say about the start procedure and how did you get it started? You couldn't pull it to get it started and now you can. So there must be something there, you changed what you were doing to release it. Hard to imagine whatever that process is that it's not in the manual.

Agree with Ed, I think it's a requirement on all new mowers for a long time. I haven't seen one without it. Apparently yours must have it because you couldn't pull the starter cord.
On 6/19/2016 11:15 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote: > Brand new out of the store Briggs 450 E 125 CC vertical shaft > engine. I added oil out of the store supplied jug and fuel. It's the > right amount of oil according to the manual. I can't pull the rope hard > enough to make the engine turn. > I can turn the engine by pulling on the blade. There seems to be > something scraping > on the bottom end of the engine by the blade. I took the oil fill > plug out. No difference. > Taking the spark plug out didn't change much. > And yes, I did disconnect the plug wire before pulling on the blade. > Two mowers, same results. > Any ideas? > > > “He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not > ask a question remains a fool forever” Chinese proverb. > > > > I did that one time, on a walk behind lawn mower. About five minutes later, I heard the mower running. The other fellow on site was mowing the lawn with it I asked what happened. He had pulled the safety handle, and then the start cord, and it started right up. I saw the safety handle, but I'd never seen one ever any where, didn't know what it was. Is. Oops.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:15:33 -0500, Dean Hoffman

BE CAREFUL Pulling on the blade is disastrous if the engine starts that way, while your hand is there, near the blade. Take out the spark plug. Even removing the spark plug wire is not enough because the spark can jump 1/2" or 1" and then jump across the spark plug gap too, so the engine can still run.

On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 5:45:04 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

es not

I would add...some mowers have the safety-brake bail on the top of the hand le, it makes it too easy to defeat when you're cleaning under the mower dec k. Like if you place it under the car bumper to hold it up.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:15:33 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Did you release the blade brake? The safety handle that you must hold to keep it runninh is also a blade brake.
On 6/20/16 9:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nah. I had no idea there was such a thing as a blade brake until Mike and Stormy mentioned them. The push mowers I've had wouldn't run if the safety handle wasn't depressed but the motors would spin.
On 6/20/2016 8:09 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That's the difference between a blade brake and a blade clutch.

Blade clutch ? on a push mower ? I suspect that the older mowers has a spark-arrest safety interlock with no blade break. John T.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 06:28:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

My walk-behind has a blade clutch (centrifical)
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:00:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

... how is it for pushing around .. :-) John T.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:14:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Not bad at all with 20 inch bicycle wheels on the back - and the option of having them driven by puilling a simple lever to engage the drive rollers