Mower lost air filter won't start.

Does the wire lead to a box that says "Series 4" or similar? That's the kill for the deadman, When the deadman bar is released it grounds out the coil as well as applys a brake to the flywheel.

Probably gummed carb. Pull the carb off the gas tank and check if the intake tubes are plugged. I may have an old filter box in my pile of junk that you can have for the shipping charge if interested.

Once that starts seizing up it has to be replaced. The ratchet balls eventually wear grooves in the housing and bind up the works. It's about $15 and you need a special tool P/N 19244. All ya do is take off the cowling, remove and ground the spark plug wire, block the blade then unscrew it using the special tool. Installation is reverse but ya torque the clutch to 55 ft.lbs.

Nate

Reply to
Nate Weber

Many newer engines use the screw (s) that secures the air filter to block off passages in the carb. Without the screws in those holes the carb draws to much air at low speed to start.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Stormin Mormon," writes

"B.B.," writes

"Nate Weber" bungara snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Hi, Everyone's been helpful. The mower now works. From advices I manage to find where the wire broke off from. I then plug it back into into the spot where the wire broke off which is inside a box that says"Series 4" or similar. I can now push the mower up and down the driveway without stalling. The gas is dump for the third time.

The shaft with the one-way clutch opens as said. I find a little grease but no structural damages. I wipe the grease and apply a bit of synthetic ATF and it works great. Thanks for tips.

The mower doesn't have a primer bulb or need ether to start but it won't start on its first attempt, which is great. I have managed to find a used air box (without a primer button) that I will try to fit in, but if it doesn't work out, which it will work out, I hope Nate will still come thru with his offer.:-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Zimmerman