Moving a toilet one foot?

I'm thinking about a bathroom renovation. The house is an attached house, 18 feet wide. The toilet is on the second floor above the kitchen.

My proposed renovation would really work out better if I could move the toilet maybe a foot or so. I am planning on hiring someone competent for this rather than attempting it myself, but I was wondering if this is a really big job. I searched and found a few posts mentioning moving a toilet two inches or so but a foot would appear to be at the outer limit.

Reply to
dgk

Do the headers imply that you are within the 5 boroughs of NY? If so, I assume an inspection and permit will be made. In general, the toilet can be up to 3 feet from the stack, but NYC may have their own restrictions.

It can be a big job, especially since the pipe is likely cast iron out there. Make some sketches of what you'd like to do and get a few estimates.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Yes, in Queens. Cast iron. I have limited experience with that but that doesn't seem to be stuff that will bend easily. Time to cast about for a skilled plumber.

Reply to
dgk

Just to give you an idea I live in North NJ and paid $350 to move my toilet 3 inches (it was too close to the sidewall). All copper job.

Reply to
KJFK

This will be part of a bathroom renovation so I'll just at $400 or so. Oh boy.

Reply to
dgk