Mouse Problem

Page 1 of 2
Hi All: I have been living in my house noe for 25 years. Never had a rodent problem until now. Recently I thought there were chipmunks getting in but I finally found chewed up cereal boxes in one of my cupboards. The droppings are small so I assume its mice and not chipmunks.
How to I get rid of the mice permanently?

Don't use poison unless you like the smell of rotting corpses...as coined by someone else here recently on "rats". Whenever we've had a problem it's been 1 or 2 near the fall season as they are looking for warmth. Simple mouse trap will do if you don't mind seeing the poor sucker afterwards and look outside around your property for a way they can get it...for us it was through the garage rafters and into the attic and another was through a vent pipe in the basement.
Don't get too wrapped up in their cuteness, these little suckers breed and you don't want that in your attic. These little guys don't work at Disney.
Get a cat.

Hi,
I had some problems with mice also. I solved it with a mice-glue. I don't know if it is possible to buy that in your country or how is it called. It is basically very strong glue that doesn't dry-up and harden. You spread some on a peace of paper, put some food in the center and leave it in the way of mice. Next day check to see if they got caught. Once they step on the glue they can't break free and they get more and more stuck. Just remove the paper with glue and mouse and repeat that untill you are mice-free.
Good luck
Bor
************************************ Printed on recycled electrons ! ************************************
The first thing you have to do is find and plug up the hole they are coming in.
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:11:34 GMT, Finite Guy

DCon works well. Set a few traps too. We have several feral cats around that keep the rodent population in check.
Finite Guy wrote:

That's what cats are for.
The Egyptians were the first large-scale agrarian society. They stored grain on a national scale (see Bible story of Jacob). With the grain storage came mice and rats. Oh, what to do? The vermin ate the grain faster than the Egyptians could store it!
Enter the domesticated African Tree Cat. Presto, mouse problem solved. The Egyptians made a god of the cat (Bastet) because the cat saved them from starvation.
A single cat can save you, too.
You can even borrow one. Get the self-cleaning model (they all are).

On the placard of a museum I visited (don't recall which one), it said that when an Egyptian family's cat died, the family would shave their eyebrows as a gesture of mourning. That's how important the cats were.
Cats will not kill all the mice, just enough so both survive. That's how nature works. You only eliminate mice by keeping them out. Find the holes and plug them up.
Small terriers (Jack Russels, even Yorkies!) will not tolerate rodents what so ever. Even a cat may sleep through a mouse incursion, but a terrier will absolutely obsess and hunt until the critters are history.
(Dog lover rant off... :+)
Jim
Greg wrote:

This means having a dog, one of the most disgusting animals on earth.

Small terriers (Jack Russels, even Yorkies!) will not tolerate rodents what so ever. Even a cat may sleep through a mouse incursion, but a terrier will absolutely obsess and hunt until the critters are history.
(Dog lover rant off... :+)
Jim
Greg wrote:

Greg wrote:

Only if the mice are smart enough to stay out of the cat's path. A well-fed cat doesn't EAT the mice it kills; it brings them to YOU so you can eat them (I guess).
Consider Towser. Towser (1963-1987) killed 28,899 mice during her 23-year life (plus assorted rats, a few birds, and a rabbit or two).

Towser lived in an environment with 50,000 mice over those years. The OP wants to be mouse free, not "wild kingdom" with a cat bringing him dead ones a few times a day.

How in the heck did they record that? Camera attached to the cat, or what????
PS. I will pass on eating the mice ........... YUCK !!!!!!!!
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I, too, have wondered about the tally process. They must have used a piece of chalk and a blackboard.
Towser's humans couldn't have been too bright: after the first few thousand corpses, I would have hired an assistant mouser.
Still, if I worked at the Glennfidich distillery, who knows whether I'd be in any condition to even use chalk.
BS.
My cat killed one last night and one earlier this year.

I bet you still have mice.

how would the cat know to save some of them? lol. a cat that does kill mice will kill every one that it can get it's paws on. some cats don't kill mice though. i have one that'll watch them instead of chase them.

You have it backwards, the mice are smart enough not to get out where the cat can catch them and they breed very fast. The rule of thumb is if you see one mouse, you probably have 10. If you see one during the day you may have 30 or more. I think the significance is in the Towser quote a while ago. The cat killed thousands of mice but he never ran out of mice to kill.