Motor Run capacitor

No, he's right. That's a small difference, almost assuredly within the tolerance of the cap.

Reply to
krw

That's why I recommend surge arresters on HVAC equipment. Around here in the summer months is when we have a lot of thunderstorms and the darn lightning strikes occur when the AC is running wide open. Voltage spikes travel a long way from a strike and of course power may cut in and out a lot so I always install a anti-short cycle timer to protect the compressor from slamming on and off when under load. Most electronic thermostats have the timer built in but there are a lot of mechanical thermostats out there.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Quickly looking at some spec sheets, most are less than 10% .

Greg

Reply to
gregz

If you got the right kind of breaker, you can put this attached to breaker box in parallel with HVAC, and will function whole house also. It can attach at HVAC also.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This has stranded leads which is somewhat of a problem, you need a breaker that will work on stranded leads. The last one I had, blew up. I also see these have a lower clamping voltage than many. I see these on Holmes on homes. its better to protect HVAC locally. In the main box, you normally use a dedicated 2 pole breaker.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

When my suppressor went, there was a storm. The lights went out, back on, off, bang went the suppressor.

Reply to
gregz

What caps are you looking at? Links please.

Reply to
krw

Picked up a Dayton cap at local supplier. One that was in it was a Supco. The Dayton was a lot more expensive than the Supco. Are they better? I use a Dayton motor on my tablesaw and it is probably 30 years old and still going.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

A motor run capacitor has a leeway of plus/minus 10-15% in microfarads (generally) without causing any problems with what its hooked up to. This very low capacity Capacitor would be inexpensive to replace if it needed it ...and just a matter of 3 push on wires most of the time.

Reply to
ilbebauck

For example the item I pointed out previously had 5% from drillspot.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

In article ,

Dayton usually refers to one of WW Graingers in-house brand names. Graingers list prices are almost always Way To High, and even with their best corporate discount, it's usually not hard to find a less expensive source.

Reply to
Larry W

For the record, I told of me using a surge suppresser, I prefer spike protector name. Some spike or surge took out my device. I feel fortunate. I have a new one installed.

BUT

A friend in Ohio sort of lives in a rural type area. They have got hit 3 separate times with maybe direct hits. Each time all suppressors were wiped out, including whole house. Many or most electronic elements were taken out. After each hit, all wiring was inspected, all suppressors replaced, grounds inspected, electronic equipment replaced. Just waiting for number FOUR.

Suppressors will not protect equipment from direct hits. They may help human safety and help prevent fires.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I forgot to mention, the Ohio party also has lightning rods. I don't think they have had any fires.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Is the friend right at the end of the power line by chance?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I would suspect a grounding problem in the house. Perhaps there are two? A water pipe being used for a ground?

Nothing will. Direct hits are quite rare, though.

Reply to
krw

I was getting worried last fall. Neighbor got hit once each in two separate storms within a week. Right across street. I don't think her home was affected, but you should see what it did to a pine tree. The tree exploded and split half way down. The other tree just looks like half of it died. She is waiting to see how it holds up. Going to cost a couple thousand to chop it up.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I don't know her situation.