More squirrels in the attic!!!!

Page 2 of 2

imho:
Trapping them only works depending on what you plan on doing with them once caught. You release them outside they will return, you take them far away and release them, you could giving them a rough dealth sentance. You kill and eat them, that could be a very rewarding hobbie. :)

squirrel trap?.>>.?????

Yes, get rid of the squirls and seal your attic up. You go around sealing your attic and leaving one, one-way door for any remaing squirrels to leave. To oust them a little faster, I've heard placing an open bottle of men's calone, will make the scatter. Something about the inate fear of humans.

Gotta find it, and fix it, as well as any other points of possible entry.

They chew anything. If their teeth, like all rodents, continue growing and must be constanty worn down.

Yummmm..... squirrel thinning. When I was down south, I've heard squirrels referred to 'Chicken of the Tree' ;)

hth,
tom @ www.ChopURL.com
:) I'm guessing they are squirrels? Only a couple of days off this month and I :) want to try and do somthing tomorrow on my day off. We just started hearing :) the digging and chewing this past week in the ceiling area. Its difficult to :) gain access to the attic but I hope to place a trap up there and try to :) catch them????
If you are hearing the activity during the day they probably are squirrels. If it is at night chances are they are rats..maybe mice, with flying squirrels being a possibility if they are in your area. Squirrels chew open while rats tend to squeeze into openings so if it is a squirrel opening it should be obvious. You can find squirrel sized live traps at most hardware/home depot type stores. At http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/ you can find live and lethal traps for squirrels along with a one way exclusion door for the openings. If they are squirrels, if caught in a live trap, I would suggest putting them down by submerging the trap in a tub of water. It would be bad to seal them up in they attic, they can readily dig through a sheet rock ceiling and get inside. I have seen squirrels go into sheds a few times over the years, but usually what is found chewing on the frame work of shed is rats. As far as chewing wire, squirrels are much more damaging than rats/mice, wires included.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
On 12/17/2004 10:11 AM US(ET), Lar took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

And let's not forget our daytime scurrying friends, Chip and Dale. I've them nesting in the soffits of my pool house.
A Hav-A-Hart trap baited with a peanut butter cookie (or grahm cracker with peanut butter) works well. Yes they will chew on most anything including wires. Squirrel soup is very tasty.

Had a squirrel in my attic.....got rid of them by throwing some moth balls into the attic....it forced them to leave...and then I fixed the hole they were using to enter.....haven't had a return of a squirrel yet. It's been 2 years.
I tried one of those traps in the attic, but didn't catch anything...
Good luck.
Mark

Years ago, I worked part time for an exterminator. For squirls, we would find where they entered, and smear around the opening, a gel substance, that irritated their skin, and they wouldn't go by it to go in. They would go out when they got hungry. He would leave the house for a few days, and return to patch the hole. No, I don' have a clue what it was? It was 30 years ago!
On 18 Dec 2004 02:58:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Over40pirate) wrote:
:) Years ago, I worked part time for an exterminator. For squirls, we would find :) where they entered, and smear around the opening, a gel substance, that :) irritated their skin, and they wouldn't go by it to go in. They would go out :) when they got hungry. He would leave the house for a few days, and return to :) patch the hole. :) No, I don' have a clue what it was? It was 30 years ago!
There are/were similar products Squirrel away and bird away...I think they took one off of the market, but they are basically the same and could be used on either animal. Used to see them at Home depot type stores...not sure if they can still be found there.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
I have used both moth balls and a pan of ammonia to drive our critters. Moth balls last very long but take a while to fill the area with the pungent smell. Ammonia works very quickly but will all evaporate within a few days.
There are a few caveats: Depending upon the time of year, you can wind up with baby squirrels who can't escape, so they die due to the fumes and then they rot in their attic nest. Also, if moth balls are used, then for months the attic will be just as repugnant for humans . If you use the attic for storage, this can be a very big problem. You also have a problem if you need to get into the attic to insure that all of the squirrels have been driven off or to seal the rodents' points of entry to the attic. The naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene which evaporates (sublimates) from the moth balls is toxic.
Depending upon where you live, your local animal control can be of assistance: - Our animal control officers provides on-site free advice on just about any issue involving wild animals. - We can borrow cage-style traps from them and animal control will stop by periodically to bait the traps and to empty them. Depending upon the critter type, animal control will either put the animal down or release it in the woods. In the neighborhood where I grew up, pigeons were a big problem and animal control would provide poison corn to any homeowner who appeared to be intelligent enough to use it wisely. - Obviously, they provide advice about local and state legal issues regarding traps, bait, poisons, etc. The also offer strong caveats regarding civil liability issues which can occur if the neighbor's pet, a child, or a protected species of wild animal is harmed.
Once again, phoning a professional may be your best option. Those that I've observed around here put cages (inside or out) near the entrance being used by the rodents to get into the attic. The cages are baited with poison bait because it is difficult to remove a live animal from a trap up in an attic on up on a roof.
=======================
Mark Stiegel wrote in message ... Had a squirrel in my attic.....got rid of them by throwing some moth balls into the attic....it forced them to leave...and then I fixed the hole they were using to enter.....haven't had a return of a squirrel yet. It's been 2 years.
I tried one of those traps in the attic, but didn't catch anything...
Good luck.
Mark

:) Also, if moth balls are used, then :) for months the attic will be just as repugnant for humans . If you use the :) attic for storage, this can be a very big problem. You also have a problem :) if you need to get into the attic to insure that all of the squirrels have been :) driven off or to seal the rodents' points of entry to the attic. The :) naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene which evaporates (sublimates) :) from the moth balls is toxic.
You can place moth balls in old stockings so at least they can be easily retreived when the time comes.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
Actually, I've always placed the mothballs in open-mouthed containers. The problem is the fact that even after the containers with the moth balls are removed, it takes a long time before the fumes dissipate enough to safely enter the attic.
Lar wrote in message ...
:) Also, if moth balls are used, then :) for months the attic will be just as repugnant for humans . If you use the :) attic for storage, this can be a very big problem. You also have a problem :) if you need to get into the attic to insure that all of the squirrels have been :) driven off or to seal the rodents' points of entry to the attic. The :) naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene which evaporates (sublimates) :) from the moth balls is toxic.
You can place moth balls in old stockings so at least they can be easily retreived when the time comes.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

The tree huggers will love me, but the last time I got squirrels in my house's attic I used Decon rat poison. I left their access open to the attic untill I was sure the were all gone. No remains in the attic either. My understanding is they look for water and die before they get back in. Greg
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:35:31 -0600, "Greg O"
:) The tree huggers will love me, but the last time I got squirrels in my :) house's attic I used Decon rat poison. I left their access open to the attic :) untill I was sure the were all gone. No remains in the attic either. My :) understanding is they look for water and die before they get back in.
D-con is an anti-coagulant. The go outside for water is an old exterminator's tale. Usually don't get squirrels to feed on the rat baits..now and then I'll get lucky.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

When I had the problem, I just pruned back the trees that allowed them to jump to the house roof and gutters. They left, couldn't get back, problem solved.
Bob

Cut ovehanging branches, rat poison well ground to powder and mixed with smuchers real peanut butter they will eat both in attic and in tree above children,dog, cat etc. I also borrowed a pump up pellet gun with 22 sight on it. (live in town so even 22 shorts not possible) i FOUND the pellet gun most effective and satisfiying. In winter you can shoot the buggers in the attic if you know how to sit without moving for hour or so.
Chlorine gas is effective but probably illegal so I would not use it even if it is easy to make.
A pellet/BB gun is best for tree rats. My Crossman 760 (760 fps muzzle velocity) with a cheap 4x Tasco scope will shoot either BB's or pellets, however I found BB's to be more accurate. Pointy pellets are next best for accuracy and more mass makes them more effective. Plain pellets bob around like throwing a knuckleball and are hard to get a headshot with. Squirrels are opportunists and are only mildly territorial, so they just keep on coming in here. They cannot resist sunflower seeds and can smell them from far away. Legalese says I'm not "hunting" and don't need a small game license if I'm shooting from within the house out the sliding glass door....