More city code violation crap

Florida allows this "fence" to be a screen enclosure. I suppose, once they get the bus away from the service drops, they can just string screening over the roof ribs. If the ladder was folded up with a latch 53" high , they could even argue the access was more than 53" above ground and compliant. The other open question would be bonding and GFCI protection. The pump would require a twist lock plug if it was within 5' of the "above ground pool". I friendly electrical inspector could help them make this compliant fairly easily. I suppose there is some local pressure making this difficult.
What happens is there is a nightclub fire and many people die, some kid drowns, someone gets electrocuted and dies needlessly...
Then there is public "outrage" that something should be done to prevent these things from happening again...
Then they come up with new building codes. The inspectors enforce them.
The codes are there to protect YOU and YOUR family! You're barking up the wrong tree getting mad at city inspectors. Might instead try the "outraged public" who caused these rules to be created in the first place...
Bill wrote:

Some feel codes are NOT there to protect them or theirs. The codes exist to:
a) To assuage the moral indignation of those who think they know what's best for others, and b) Provide faux jobs for those otherwise suitable only for medical experimentation.
I'm kinda buying in to that philosophy.

One irritating thing about codes is they are like algae, they start out small and only focus on real problems but over time all the do-gooders whine incessantly until the city adds more and more stupid stuff until the code becomes smothering. If you strictly go by the code here you can't replace an electric outlet yourself or replace your own water heater but have to have a licensed electrician or plumber do it for you. It's always "for the children" type of thinking. it's BS.

I don't follow city codes nor do I get any permits. It is my house, I paid for it and no government inspector is allowed in my house. But, I always keep safety in mind when doing a project and avoid doing projects that extend beyond my walls. Every house has *something* out-of-code, city inspections are a load of crap.

It's your house as long as you own it but when you sell it to me, or your estate sells it, now it is MY house and I don't want to inherit all the f_ _ k ups you created 'cause your libertarian ways adn lack of knowledge of even they most basic construction techniques resulted in.
Not directed at you specifically - just the generic you.

We went through it the other way. Zoning was not even issue because all the farmers wanted to stay away from zoning so they could sell their farms for whatever they wanted... until one of them actually did. After the concert venue was put in the middle of nowhere, the farmers rammed through zoning.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Why? I would think that the kinds of concerts that take place at concert venues, the farmers would want the damn thing as far away from normal folk as possible.

I should have said in the middle of THEIR nowhere. No zoning, so one of the farmers sold out to a precursor of Live Nation. So basically, they zoned against them damn hippies (grin).
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Probably still smoking........:o)
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Oh. Okay, then. In one of the suburbs here, a Muslim group bought some property to build a new mosque.
The next door farmer put up a sign: "Pig races every Friday night." http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&idH08968
There are ways, other than zoning, to encourage neighborly behavior. There are people who advertise: "My six-gun for your six-pack."

Sadly, too many people in Philadephia cannot afford to hire an $EXPEN$IVE$ Philadelphia electrician, but also do not know how to properly repair/replace an existing one going *snap*-*crackle*-*pop*.
The electrician's union (among others) are very strong in Philadelphia. On the other hand, so many Philadelphians value education so little that it would be a waste on them to teach basic home electrical repairs in "home economics" classes.
Any ideas? Force people to graduate high school, demonstrate competence at reading and understanding a newspaper, sorting mail and finding a known number room in an office building, writing a basic business letter, and to demonstrate competence in basic home repairs including basic electrical ones, in order to keep their gonads?
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in

a licensed electrician and wants to do some extra work "on the side". They are usually either trying to learn for a license or don't have some of the non-electric skills required for a license. They can do the work efficiently and to code, but of course you'll have to trust them ... Here in North Jersey we have found someone like that. Of course, knowing yourself a bit of what the work should involve is a BIG plus.
YMMV ...
--
Best regards
Han
Bill wrote:

I remember the days of high-rises without sprinkler systems, reason being my dad was a firefighter and it upset him to discuss it. Everything around us, over two stories?, where I live now has been retrofitted.
I didn't think much about codes until I moved into a condo that had been long neglected (longer story:o). There were no functioning lights in atrium, stairway or front walk, in spite of there being elderly and/or vision impaired residents. Busted sidewalk steps. Pot holes in pkg. lot. Rats in attics.
Since living here , I've seen an owner do major remodel without permit. He screwed through the cabinet of the microwave he installed (found by next owner, after first owner doubled his money). Another newer owner burned out some of the wiring to our unit by nailing new flooring through the conduit in the unit above ours. Wiring had numerous black char marks on it and burned through completely in at least one spot. He blew our breaker three times (the final time) before he paid attention. When he went on to plumbing, his plumber didn't notice a leak in something newly installed until I saw water dripping from bathroom ceiling.

And your point is, exactly, what?
Seems to me the tenants - including you - are willing to put up with a few inconveniences in return for (no doubt) significantly reduced rent.
George McGovern bought a large motel with the dream of turning it into a conference center for progressive ideas. He later said that, had he been an entrepreneur prior to his stint in Congress, he would have been a Republican! One of his major gripes was the $150,000 it cost to retrofit each room with sprinklers. It wasn't exactly 'for the children' in that EVERY room had a sliding glass door that opened into the pool area or parking lot.
HeyBub wrote:

individual units. One of many reasons I'll never buy a condo- you have to have somebody knowledgeable and trustworthy riding herd on any owners making internal changes, to make sure they don't trash the place for everybody. Which means you have non-trivial condo fees forever, to pay for said individual, in addition to the care and feeding of the common areas.
If I can't afford a stand-alone house in whatever area I need to be, I'll just store or dispose of most of my excess stuff, and rent an apartment. (Unless I trip across a house that rents for less than buying one, of course.)
-- aem sends...

If you fill it full of beer is it called an open container, Bus pool, is that like car pooling.