More city code violation crap

Page 1 of 2

College students turn school bus into a swimming pool (intentionally).
City code inspector says that's a violation. Or three.
You can tell city employees never went to college.
http://www.alligator.org/articles/2009/09/04/news/local/090904_bus.txt

From that article: ""We're willing to do anything to make it legitimate to stay," Heaton said, in hopes of making the bus safe and acceptable under city laws. Since the inspector's visit, the men have drained the water from the pool and plan to move the bus farther away from the power lines."
If the kids don't have a problem with wanting to make it legal, why do you?
If you hadn't read about it, and had instead seen, you would have taken a picture and posted it here saying what idiots the people were to have the pool so close to the power lines.
RicodJour wrote:

You're right. I forgot.
Power lines seek out swimming pools.

Pools should have a sturdy locked fence around them.

Even with a 14' fence, a HS student climbed the fence and then up the high-dive board.
It was a dark moon night when he did a swan dive at the deep end, into an empty pool.

Here the ordnance is 6' max....I think.
One morning, back when I had a hole in the back of my fence, I found a full grown armadillo in there. My neighbor calls it a death trap (behind my back).

We can only hope he was removed from the gene pool prior to breeding (left no pregnant girlfriends).

Even with dark moon night it's quite obvious if there's water in it or not. I mean really, think about it.
Either the story is pure BS or the student was wacked out on something to the extreme. And if the student was that wacked out, how could they get over a 14' fence.

I agree. I never dove in a creek, without first going into the water. Checking for depth, cypress knees, etc. kids have broken necks diving into a shallow creek from a bridge railing.

I went to the HS at the time, so it's not BS. Maybe the fence was 12', heck it was the 60s.

Then that explains it. The days of staring at the sun and seeing God. Student was wacked out on something to the extreme.

I think you are referring to this.
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/highdive.asp

No. It was a HS in the 60s. The pool was a public pool, directly adjacent the school.

Since when do city building inspectors have any say over VEHICLES? A vehicle is not a structure attached to land. As long as the vehicle is operable (and moves under its own power), I'd say to tell this building inspector to kiss my ass. Your state's DMV and police functions have jurisdiction over this, not building and safety.

It would be covered under the zoning code. As mentioned in the article: "The bus is also more than 35 feet long, making it too long to be parked at the house even if registered as an RV, according to Dimuccio."

Don't confuse a "building inspector" with a "code enforcement" officer.
UofF students frequently acquire "yard ornaments".
GO GATORS!!!

Way back in the 50's, at night we used to toss alligators in the "girls" swimming pool which was visible from the upperclass dorms. The screams the next morning would have the entire dorm laughing.

The moment that they hooked it up to a pool pump and the requisite electrical branch circuit to power it the bus stopped being a motor vehicle. Local code officials can regulate vehicles in terms of were they may be stored or parked. The article indicated that the city of Gainsville does not permit vehicles of that size to be stored in the neighborhood. If they can build the whole assembly onto the buss chassis including the power supply then the city can only force them to move it every seventy two hours. -- Tom Horne
Tom Horne wrote:

I guess "hooked it up to ... the requisite electrical branch circuit" completely prohibits electric cars.

The car that is parked and being charged is subject to parking laws, and zoning and other laws on parked vehicles.
If the electrical line to the car is AC of house voltage or the like, then the line has to comply with electrical codes and the car, maybe excluding portion downstream of a "Class II power supply" or the like, would be subject to UL listing.
If the charging circuitry is external to the car, then permanently installed parts and the input power feed are subject to the electrical code, and the charging unit itself is subject to UL listing or recognized equivalent.
Mobile swimming pools, when parked, do not get out of laws and building codes on swimming pools by also being vehicles.