More 2-stroke engine problems

I emptied my other machines last Fall, but forgot about my Mantis tiller.

I went to use it today, and it wouldn't start.

The fuel filter was gummed up, so I replaced it. Air filter is fine.

It starts easily now, but when I give it any throttle, it dies.

What else do I need to do?

Reply to
Mitch

some carb passages still clogged, disassemble completely and try again, soak carb off unit in cleaner, blow out wiith compressed air

Reply to
hallerb

One question before I do that. It calls for 50:1 mix. I used 40:1 because that what my other engines use.

Would that cause the problem?

Reply to
Mitch

*Probably not*. Might run a little "smoky", but shouldn't cause a non start or die out situation.

I think the other fellow is right. Yo need *a lot* or crab claner t de gm th carb and getrid of varnish deposits taht are screwing up your carb jets.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

40:1 in an engine that was designed for 50:1 will not cause the world to explode, but it's also not going to get you the best possible performance and service life out of the engine. 40:1 will cause the engine to run at a cooler temperature, which in turn causes fouling and excessive carbon buildup. It will also affect the fuel air ratio. So, you will get shorter engine life, harder starting and a less satisfactory overall experience from that piece of equipment.

Sounds like you need to clean out the fuel system, regardless. Using the wrong mix isn't helping you much, but it doesn't sound like it's the whole problem, either.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan