moldy smell from sink

I have two sinks in my kitchen. One main sink, which gets the majority of the use and one sink in the island, which gets little use. The island sink drain emits this moldy smell all the time. I've tried putting bleach down there, nothing, the smell comes right back. Is there any way to get rid of that smell permanently?
thanks.

Nope, it's definitely coming from the drain. thanks.

Nope, it's definitely coming from the drain. thanks.
does the island have a disposal or large sized drain? there could be all sorts of crud built-up inside a disposal, or the top of the downtube. pouring bleach wouldn't get to those parts. try using a bottlebrush to clean it out with something foaming (i use drain cleaner).
regards, charlie cave creek, az

Charlie, thanks for the response. I'll try the bottle brush, but honestly this sink and disposal gets very little use, so I don't think there is much crude in there. Will using a foaming drain cleaner hurt the pipes? Also, as I have just posted, this is a newly renovated kitchen. It's been less then a year and the sink started smelling about 6 months ago. Thanks again, lloyd
lloyd wrote:

There might be grease that is growing stuff, and bleach won't remove grease. I would try pouring a large pot of very hot water with plenty of dishwashing soap added into the drain. Then try the bleach.
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:46:19 -0800 (PST), lloyd

Does it have a proper trap installed?

--
a little used disposal gets this problem. anything collecting on the roof of
the disposal or under the rubber flap will stay there and rot. the trap
on 11/19/2008 2:52 PM lloyd said the following:

Is the drain vented? If not, see here: http://www.rd.com/19540/article19540.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

To my unprofessional eye, it looks vented. The pipe comes out of the disposal, loops down then up as high as it can, before looping back down and into the floor, but unlike your photo there is only one loop, not two. Could the mold be building up at the bottom of the loop? Also, this kitchen was installed about a year ago, it's all new stuff and I started noticing the smell about 6 months ago. thanks for your help. lloyd
lloyd wrote:

My disposal gets smelly once in a while........I tried feeding some lemon peel through disposal and it seemed to cure the problem. I'm sure there is plenty of gunk that can hide from cleaners that are just poured down the drain, like the underside of splash-guard, etc.
on 11/19/2008 3:43 PM lloyd said the following:

Here's another type of island sink vent. http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/fh_174_056.asp I have one of these in my pool house sink.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

use it more often. the trap is probably drying out and letting the gases out.
KingFish wrote:

Seconded.

.
Thanks to everyone. I'll try some of these things and see how it goes.

On one sink I have plastic pipe that seems to allow mold to grow, I pour in bleach, cover the drain overnight then fill sink with hot water and flush it the next morning. If you have traps and use it once a month then the traps are not dry, so id guess its mold on the pipes.
lloyd wrote:

Fill it up with sulfuric acid.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
try some baking soda and vinegar
http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2007/03/21/naturally-unclog-drain-with-vinegar /
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:52:18 -0800 (PST), lloyd

Permanent fix: Stop putting organic material down the sink. Dump a half cup of baking soda down the drain, pour in 1/2 cup of houshold vinegar. After an hour or two, rinse.