Moisture in the tool box - again!

Page 1 of 2
I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean out my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order to rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.
A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.
Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I picked it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under side.
Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun oil. We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way out to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in them.
I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better since they should not collect moister.
Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty expensive hand tools this time.
Suggestions please?
Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.
Grandpa Chuck wrote:

[X-posted to alt.home.repair]
Have you ever noticed when hand tools get wet in the box they smell like vomit?
--

-G

Yeah...vomit.
The OP needs a dehumidifier, no matter how dry he thinks his basement is. He's obviously wrong.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Correct. Another possible solution is to keep the box in a small enclosed space with a heat source to keep the tools above dew point. A 100 watt bulb works wonders in a small enclosure.
Leroy

What exactly are you calling a small space. The main toolbox is approximately 6' tall and 3' wide. The smaller one sets on a set of shelves at a right angle. They are close enough that I cannot open the drawer of one while the upper drawers of the top one are open. If I build a tiny room around them it will interfere with being able to use my table saw or my band saw at all angles. It also will make it very difficulty to get tools when I am working on the adjoining workbench. I even put small containers of moisture absorbing pellets in plastic containers in each drawer, except for the very small ones where they won't fit. Here in Iowa the winter weather is notoriously dry and in the summer exceedingly humid.
Grandpa Chuck wrote:

This topic got me thinking... instead of using rubber drawer liners for my toolbox I was thinking of using oil soaked cardboard. good idea/bad idea? only possible downside I can think of is "possible fire hazard..."
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

These desiccant packets will fit. They're only 1/2" thick. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemidy9452&t 082005
But, tool boxes aren't sealed, so in effect, you're trying to absorb moisture from the whole basement with these things. Couldn't hurt, but probably not the idea solution.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:25:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Question: Most newsgroups I participate in advertising is considered spamming and is forbidden. Is this newsgroup different?

I gave you a link to a product I use. You confused it with an advertisement. Desiccant in skinny metal containers like that is NOT easy to find.
Now, say "thank you".
-On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:03:10 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Mia culpa Thank you Joe.
Grandpa Chuck wrote:

Buy a hygrometer and find out exactly how much humidity you have and where it's coming from.

What a good idea!
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:59:47 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

One of many that you've been given. Will you ignore this one too?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:09:50 -0600, Dan C

Dan, I have not ignored any of them. Some apply and some do not. It's as simple as that. Right now I have the drawers open and I have a 20" box fan running on low down there. I will adjust the dehumidifier so it will come on automatically if the humidity rises too much, and yes I will get a hygrometer the next time we are out and near Home Depot or Menards. I have seen some cheapies at WalMart, but don't feel they are trustworthy.
By the way, what makes you think I have ignored the other suggestions? Or are you just being smug without knowing the facts?
Grandpa Chuck wrote:

Here's three: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=hygrometer
Here's about 350 more http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hygrometer&category0

Fantastic!
There is a Harbor Freight across the street from Menards.
I bought a combination digital thermometer/hygrometer from Home Depot for under $8. The average temperature in the basement is 70 and the average humidity is between 20+25%.
I discovered most of what I took to be water was actually WD40. My wife took a clean shop rag, poured some mineral spirits on it and cleaned the areas up that looked wet.
The other thing we did was line what drawers we are now using with the open waffle type of rubber or plastic shelf liner cut to fit.
We still have a long way to go in rearranging the basement so the tools are easier to find and there is a more efficient work area. We are doing a little at a time. Then when we had a very windy day last week it broke the light on the back of the house. That means tomorrow, weather permitting I will put up a new larger and better light.
The joys of owning a home: if it isn't one thing it is half a dozen or more. OTOH, this house was built in 1909 and it's still pretty darned sturdy.
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:59:47 GMT, Grandpa Chuck

--

Grandpa Chuck
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 03:45:52 GMT, Grandpa Chuck

Or just stop using your toolbox for a urinal when you get drunk !!!!
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 22:10:54 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@idunno.com wrote:

ROFLMAO!
I have been a sober and a member of AA for over 28 years. Besides we have toilet in the basement that works very well.
But you thought is funny. It wouldn't be if I were still drinking.
--

Grandpa Chuck
HeyBub wrote:

leave a micro film on surfaces in confined spaces).
paul