Mixing high & low voltage wires in electrical conduit?

Page 1 of 2
Is it allowed to run both 110v wire (either THHN or Romex) and low voltage alarm wire (e.g., 4 conductor 22 gauge) in the same 1/2" rigid metal conduit?
I probably will have one 2-conductor #14 Romex wire for overhead garage light plus a couple of alarm cables for the window, door, and heat sensors.
Thanks
No. I think the code is you must run the same guage wire for the highest voltage running through the conduit. So if your running 14 guage Romex for your HV, you must also run at least 14 guage for the LV. Thats what I did for my garage. I ran 14 guage for the electrical, then I ran 2-14 guage for my alarm circuits.
The LV wire does not need to be in conduit. Unless you have a specific reason to run it thru conduit, just staple it to the floor joists and/or wall studs. I have also seen places where it follows along the outside of the conduit and is taped to the pipe with electrical tape about every 12 to 16 inches. This is particularly common for thermostat wiring.

blueman wrote:

the highest voltage in order to do what you want to do.

Right on.
You will pay dearly for that stuff rated at 300 volts. Available, even at 600 volt insulation
By the way romex typically is not rated to be in conduit.
SQLit wrote:

Wrong.
Not only does the NEC *permit* running romex in conduit, where needed for protection from physical damage the Code _explicitly_requires_ it.
--
Regards,
I'm not an electrician but some thoughts... unless there is a risk of the conductors becoming overheated for some reason I don't see why not. I think when you have two or runs of NM in any kind of conduit what you want to avoid is the cables pulling the same voltage, or you might have inductive heating problems? I think the NEC goes into detail about not pulling two cables through conduit that will be on the same circuit??? If I am correct I think you would be OK with what you described.
On 6-Jul-2005, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'm not trying to be a usenet cop or anything but speculating about electrical issues does no one any good. If you know the answer, great, post away. If you don't know the answer, then just let someone who does post it.
ml

Agreed. The NEC dictates a lot of things that wouldn't be obvious to the average person via speculation.
And this goes to pretty much everyone in the thread, not just this reply. If you can't cite the proper code, you probably shouldn't respond.
-Tim
Whoa there... let me get this straight...

So you're saying that it's not OK for me to speculate from the viewpoint of risk avoidance in inductive heating in electrical circuits (which I made pretty clear I was doing, because I'm not an electrician), bit it **IS OK** that he should be doing his own electrical work when the OP seemingly doesn't know where to find or how to open an NEC manual or other suitable reference to determine requirements for running conductors in conduit??? Who gives a rat's ass about citing the correct code chapter and verse if you don't know what the hell you are doing to begin with???
I'm going to bake a cake and I don't know how to turn the oven on. The mixing spoon is too cracked and I'm short three eggs. If the OP insists on doing the work himself and comes to usenet for help, well... that's his problem.
For the OP, www.nfpa.org sells residential wiring textbooks and inspector checklists for the uninitiated for about $60 each. They are based on the NEC. Easy to follow and read. They expire every three years. 2005 is a good time to buy since the NEC was recently revised.
Electrical workers in US make decent wages compared to banana pickers in Guatemala.

Then if the OP is a banana picker in Guatemala the US NEC is probably not enforced in his jurisdiction. He can shove damn well anything through that conduit and hope for the best.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net writes:

There is a difference between not knowing basic electrical code and wiring vs. not knowing a specific and rarely used detail such as in my question. I asked the question here to expand my knowledge and at least get some directional pointers to the right answer -- who knows, maybe my question has a simple and unanimously agreed upon answer or maybe it doesn't in which case I will need to look elsewhere...
Just as an anecdote, I recently hired licensed master electricians to rewire major portions of our house and I can assure you that they did not know details of the code outside of their daily work habits -- I am also pretty sure that they are not the book types that would be adept at skimming and interpreting the arcane details of code that they were not trained in. That does not mean that they are not capable of doing the wiring if informed of what is allowed.

I agree with you blueman, I was actually trying to help with my limited knowledge of using conduit and what I've read in the NEC about inductive heating, might be something you can look into and expand your knowledge of electrical. I hope you didn't mistake me for a real electrician and inadvertently burn your house down while reading my original response to your post. ;)
I wasn't seriously suggesting that you couldn't open a book. But I do think it is rediculous for individuals on usenet to tell others to keep their thoughts to themselves in a prevelently DIY forum. The free flow and exchange of ideas must not be impeded.
And I say that because I am now more knowledgeable of cabling requirements in conduit. I only had a part of the story with voltage issues and inductive heating. Perhaps you were not aware of inductive heating issues and therefore a mutual exhange may have occured.
Good luck with your project blueman

Correct. He has asked for help here in this newsgroup. The fact that he's asking and not just cramming as many as he can in the conduit shows that he wants to do it right. Not everyone can/wants to understand the code books. On the other hand, if you're going to reply to his response, you should know what you're talking about.
Replies like "this should work" or "I don't think that would be a problem" are of little help when the code says Yes or No directly.
-Tim
Because there is always one answer to every question.

Okay. What's the question?
May want to try quoting some of the text you're replying to so that others can follow along should they choose to.
You can also read all the messages in this short thread

You can be ignored too, zipperhead. It appears that concerning electrical topics, ignoring your stump stupid lazy ass is in the works already.