Mini Split heat pump for basement

I live in northern area.

2 story house 1200 sq ft on main floor, 800 sq ft on 2nd floor basement is finished and about 1200 sq ft House is currently heated with electric baseboard heaters.

We don't need air conditioning and there no problem with the heating. R20 in all walls. I run a dehumidifier in the basement - this is not currently a problem.

I want to reduce my energy costs and would like to install a (mini split) heat pump however I want the indoor unit to be in the basement.

Can you install a mini split in a basement?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jean Luc

Certainly. It can be installed anywhere you can run the line set. Standard length, I think, is 15' and most systems will come pre-charged with enough refrigerant to handle a 25' run without the necessity of adding refrigerant.

I just installed a 12,000 BTU unit in our family room to replace a thru wall AC unit. It is amazingly quiet. You'll love it!

FWIW, if you want, you can find mini-split systems that will run multiple line sets and cool/heat additional rooms off of one condensing unit.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Sure, why would you think you might not be able to? IDK what your electric rates are, but in most cold climates, electric heat for the rest of the house would be killing you. Probably should look into heat pump or other solutions for the whole house. You could do it all with mini-splits, but if you do the whole place, another solution might be better.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks - I appreciate your comments.

Reply to