miicrowave digital display unreadable

The digital display on my mother's microwave oven is impossible to read. Only parts of the numbers are displayed. What might be the cause? Is it an easy fix that I can do or do I have to have it repaired? If I can't fix it myself, it would probably be cheaper to dump it and buy a new one. Thanks for any advice.
tenplay wrote:

If the display isn't hard connected it's probably a "loose disconnection" between the display panel and a circuit board. Sometimes the multiple connections required to run the display are made with a strip of alternating thin laminated conductive and insulating elastomers, and disassembly and cleaning the areas with alcohol will restore all the connections.
But, if you're not already familiar and competent with electronic repairs, fughedit and buy mom an early Mother's Day present.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Exact same thing happened to my Mom's old microwave. She lived with it for about a year, then we replaced it with an OTR one.
Since a competent (non-OTR) range is <$100, it's not worth a pro repair, like you already mentioned.
-Tim
It's an easy fix if you have a spare oven, and are good with a soldering iron. If not, it's time for a new one.