microwave on switched outlet?

I would like to move my microwave from the kitchen countertop into a spacious cabinet to free up the counter. There is currently a 14ga wire running to that cabinet from a wall switch (prior owner intended to install accent lighting in glass-fronted portion of cabinet. Is it safe to run a microwave on a circuit/outlet controlled by a wall switch? How do I tell if the switch is 'rated' for a certain power draw? I would obviously install a GFI outlet.
Thanks, Teo
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Switches have ratings stamped on them. Take it out and look. After you look, put the switch on the kitchen table, and join the wires in the outlet together so they're not switched any more. Go buy a nice blank plate to cover the box. Have a beer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have my microwave on a wall switch. I turn it off when it is not in use and this saves electricity. I also have a power strip for my TV/Stereo and I also turn this off when not in use which saves electricity.
So far as rating, 14 ga. wire is for a 15 amp circuit. Get a 15amp switch. Should say 15 amp or 15 A on the switch. (I have 12 ga. wire, a 20 amp outlet, and I use a 20 amp rated switch.)
Also check local electrical codes. I don't know if they would require a separate 20 amp outlet for a microwave or whatever. If you are having your work inspected, run it by your local electrical inspector before doing any work. Could save you time and money...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Like everything else, there's some tradeoff. How much work does it take to restore settings when you want to use the device again?

--
90 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Surely not for those tiny ones, but they may have maximum wattage for 15 amps.
If you are having your

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Microwaves are often located in kitchens which have coffee makers and toasters and such which use up a large fraction of 15 amperes. If somebody tries to use a microwave AND a heating appliance on the same circuit at the same time, I think a blown 15 ampere fuse is quite likely.
mm wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Walls switches are rated for 15A. That's more than adequate for a microwave. Microwaves aren't motors, so you don't need to get motor-rated switches.
It'll be an annoyance to lose all the settings on the microwave whenever anybody hits the switch. Remove it and jumper the wires, covering the hole with a blank plate if you're worried.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.