Microwave gone crazy

GE 700w microwave JES735, purchased around 2003. Reasonably good service until this week.
I close the door, it starts itself (fan, lite come on) with nothing on the timer. Sometimes it shuts itself down immediatly, sometimes I have to open the door to stop it.
Sometimes I set the timer, start it, and it runs without counting the time down. Sometimes I set the timer, start it, and it runs for a fraction of a second and shuts down. Works OK maybe 1 of 5 tries.
I search the GE Appliances Knowledge Base for JES735, get "No results Found". But I already knew it was the last GE I'd ever own.
Any idea idea what is wrong with it? Got to be some kind of control module, I 'spect.
Thx, Puddin'

i had a sharp that did exactly this. sometimes it goes on, platter goes around, light goes on, but no nuking. sometimes it just shut off after a small fraction of a second.
it finally died completely. not a fuse since light, fan, timer still works. it was cheaper to replace than to fix.

Freaky operation is often cause by bad connection on the control board. You could disconnect all the plugs, clean and reconnect them.
Jimmie

Also try looking for dirt or food stuck in the door micro switches. Those switches are there for proper operation and safety; Warning: If you don't do electronics don't mess with inside. A typical MW has up to 5000 volts DC (at a heavy amperage) and microwave radiation that can cook human meat and damage eyes!

Thanks # 1. The door switch is indeed part of the problem.
Near as I can tell, the door latch was designed to eventually beat the switch to death.

Thanks # 2. I shoulda thought of a voltage wind-up like CRT's, but I didn't. Haven't got inside yet, but ...
Cheers, P