Mice in the basement

We moved into our 1984 house last week, and today I encountered mice in the basement. One was dead already, and one was as soon as my foot landed on its head. I don't think this is a major problem with this house, as there were no signs of previous visits by rodents. They were in the laundry room, and I deduce that they must have been surfacing through the drain (just a 6" hole in the floor) into which the drain pipes for the washing machine and furnace/AC go. Those pipes don't go down too far, so my original idea of filling the hole with expanding foam might not be wise - might block the pipes.
Strange thing was, the floor was a little wet, and it was clear that some water had also surfaced (the washing machine had just been on). I wonder whether there is a slight blockage, or whether the mice could have caused a temporary blockage on their way up.
I've got Terminix coming round tomorrow, but not sure if they will be able to deal with my main concern - blocking the hole somehow so the buggers can no longer get up. If I don't deal with this tangibly, quickly, my wife will refuse to do the laundry....
Any help gratefully received.
TIA
Mat
You might want to try posting this at alt.consumers.pest-control in addition to your post here.

the
room,
6"
can
will
Good thinking.....yes, there is a drier in there too. Hadn't thought of that. The ones I saw were by the drain, but I guess they could have used the drier vent. Guess I should try to determine where that vents outside and deal with it.
Thanks Mat

the
on
there
room
Don't put all your suspicion on the drain. Mice can get through some amazingly skinny openings, and could have come in ANYwhere and just taken refuge in the laundry room because it's warm or moist or dark or whatever.

the
room,
6"
can
will
Point taken. I will see what the Terminix guy says and report back.

on
there
and
of
some
wonder
caused
able

The mice that found their way to under my dishwasher had come in thru the dryer exhaust vent. I still had one of the old style plastic ones, not the all-metal ones. They chewed a teeny tiny hole in it.
When I went to buy the spring traps at the feed store, the guy told me that a field mouse needs no more than 1/4" to squeeze thru if there's an incentive. I have no idea whether he's right or not but the hole they chewed in the dryer exhaust vent was mighty small. I never would have even seen it if I hadn't been looking for where they got in.
Judging from the mouse droppings, a second place they appeared to have been coming in was thru a hole that had been for an old television antenna line into the basement. The line had been removed, but the hole had never been filled in.
Cindy
Hey Mat, why don't you get a young cat??? they're cheap, and very efficient...... plus make a great friend if you like animals..... better than having abunch of poision/traps around..... joe

I suggest just sitting and waiting in your basement with a 12 gauge shotgun. As soon as a mouse appears, blow him away. After a while they will get thye idea that they should move to someone else's house.

The havahart mouse trap is the best around for live trapping, by making it obvious a mouse is there in time to release him. Otherwise you tend to forget about them until it's too late. I take them about a mile away.
It's a small version of their every-other-animal trap. Get one that hasn't been bent in storage or it won't work.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com