mice evading traps

Page 1 of 2
We have some mice this fall. Other times, we've been able to trap them without any problem. This year, though, they're eating the bait off the traps without tripping them.
We tried a 'balance' trap (a live trap, where the weight of the mouse tips the trap, which causes the door to fall shut). We got one mouse with that; it was smaller than others we've caught (possibly a different species?), but otherwise unremarkable. In general, though, they seem to be able to take the bait from these traps too, without tripping them.
We've also tried glue traps. Either they're not going in these, or they're not getting stuck. Tonight, I'm going to add bait to the glue trap, so we'll at least know if they're going in there.
We don't want to use poison, because we have a couple of (fairly) lazy cats.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA, George
What kind of bait are you using? I use peanut butter, which is sticky and which they have to nibble at while on the trap. Works every time. --and that smaller mouse could have just been a younger mouse, less trap-wary.
C.C.
snipped-for-privacy@raines.com wrote in

Sometimes it won't work. The little things come and lick it off the trap w/o getting caught. hmmm..... Marina

When I get one with a 'light tongue' I tie a piece of string or yarn to the trigger. The little buggers insist on trying to get the last taste of peanut butter off the string and pull the trigger in the process.
Jim
What kind of bait are you using? I use peanut butter, which is sticky and which they have to nibble at while on the trap. Works every time. --and that smaller mouse could have just been a younger mouse, less trap-wary.
C.C.
What kind of bait are you using? I use peanut butter, which is sticky and which they have to nibble at while on the trap. Works every time. --and that smaller mouse could have just been a younger mouse, less trap-wary. C.C.
Yup Peanut Butter gets them everytime for me.
The small mouse is probably a vole. I get voles, mice, and shrews in my house.

On 12/6/2004 9:51 AM US(ET), ge took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I have used 'Mice Cube'live traps that have a door on one end that only swings in. The mouse pushes the door open to get in but can't push the door out to get out. http://www.naturallivingstore.com/smartmousetrap.html I caught 13 mice in two weeks from my shed using these traps.

Use a spring trap baited with a raisin pressed down *hard* onto the bait holder.
:) We've also tried glue traps. Either they're not going in these, or :) they're not getting stuck. Tonight, I'm going to add bait to the glue :) trap, so we'll at least know if they're going in there.
You might try gluing/securing a piece of cloth on the trigger of the trap...it is a good bait to use for mice. If they geton the glue traps they will leave some hair behind, so if they are clean the rodents aren't getting on then off. Another possibility would be the large outdoor roaches getting in. Their droppings are as large as mice droppings and they will also damage packaging to get to food. If you add bait to the glue board only put a dab of peanut butter about the size of a fingernail.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
Also they make secure bait stations with the poison sealed inside that pets and children cannot get into. They last about nine months before needing to be replaced.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Lar" < snipped-for-privacy@comcastBUGS.net> wrote in message

trap
the bait

I had this problem with rats once, and my solution was to take a kleenex tissue apart to get just one thin layer. I'd set the trap, lay the tissue over it, then bait the trap through the tissue. The rats would not see the trap mechinism, and it usually got them.
Bob

Excellent! Traps the mouse AND wraps it up in a neat little package!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
4ax.com:

Buy this mousetrap -- it really is better: www.kness.com/Snap-E.html The mouse has to climb up onto the trip mechanism in order to reach the bait.
Make sure that your next cat is one that used to be feral. I have a cat who is a stray who lived with a feral cat colony for several months. He eats all the bugs in the house and would most likely go for a rodent.
I swear by these. http://www.intruderinc.com/mousetrap/mousetrap.html baited with peanut butter. Most of the time just push them up against the baseboard and you dont even need to bait. The mouse walks into them during in his nightly strolls.
or get a standard snap trap and hot melt glue some sunflower seeds UNDER the metal paddle. The mouse will have to push the paddle aside to get the seeds. Doesnt work if you hot melt them to the paddle.

Try a mini marshmallow. It takes some tugging to get a bite. Warren
As someone else in this thread said, I too like the intruder traps.
From reading this thread, it appears there are a gadzillion different ways to trap mice and everyone has their favorite.
I'll have to try the tissue paper trick, it sounds promising....
I dont like the glue traps because I think they're inhumane. The mouse doesnt immediately die. I also dont like poison. I've had a mouse die in a bedroom wall and the odor wasnt something I want to experience again in my lifetime.
dickm

Greetings,
The next time you hear the mouse close the door to the room and stuff a towel under the door (hard). If you have forced air you will also need to stick a towel in the vent pipe and close the vent. Inspect the room for any other openings the mouse could escape through. Next take a box of six roach bombs and set them all off within the enclosed room. The next day let the room air out and your mouse / mice should be dead. This may seem drastic but the results are instantaneous and the cost of a few roach bombs is a small price to pay if you hate mice as much as I do.
Hope this helps,
William
PS: Be sure to get roach bombs that don't leave a residue!

Right- and what do you do for the smell when the mouse crawls up into something and dies?