mezzanine height restrictions?

I am in the process of buying a studio flat with 12 foot ceiling . It has a mezzanine above the kitchen and bathroom. The mezzanine floor itself is only 3 foot or so. The flat is a conversion in a listed building . I want to reduce the ceiling height in the kitchen and bathroom to provide more height on the mezzanine to create a sleeping area rather than a storage area. Are there building regs re heights of ceilings in kitchens and bathrooms, does any one know ?? I'm also looking for a source to put in a stair ( spiral or otherwise) as it only has access with a ladder at present...any suggestions?
--
suza

Yes. I don't know if it is national or local code, but I do know that in MA it is 7' 3" I'd certainly feel uncomfortable living in anything less than that.