Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

Page 2 of 4
Ignoramus4324 wrote:

They need to have matched ballasts, Only use in the specifc fixture designed for the reated MH Bulb.
snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote in

One other note;I worked in a lab with MH lighting,and any brief power interruption meant we went without light for the time it takes for them to cool and then re-ignite,about 15 minutes,IIRC. A PITA. Our lights had UV filters,and reflected off the white ceiling. I would not want them in my home.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That last one is not true. Especially good fluorescents have only about the same efficiency as 400 watt metal halides.

Glass _can_ be a UV filter if it's coated with the appropriate material. Some plastics are UV absorbant but even they need special treatment to make them highly UV absorbant. Polycarbonate, for example, will block UV, but if you want PC that is rated for eye protection against UV, you look for UV400 polycarbonate.
How are you going to get this single bulb to distribute the light evenly in a garage?
Mike

My first thought was to direct the light at the ceiling. (which is white drywall).

Any old glass, polycarbonate and the common acrylic sheets are plenty good for protection from shortwave UV and UVB from a broken bulb. The UVA that gets through these materials will be less than that in a similar quantity of daylight. Metal halide lamps designed for illumination are actually not that efficient at producing UV - they are somewhat good at specializing in producing visible light.
The special materials mentioned by Michael Daly are only needed when you need a degree of UV removal much more severe than merely having a fair amount less UV than is present in a similar quantity of sunlight that has gone through window glass.
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote in

Those metal halides emit a LOT of UV,and are not filtered. They will fade any colored items,and are bad for your eyesight if not filtered.They also can explode and shower you with broken glass shards.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I believe the degree of eye damage was overblown. If the bulb has just a crack, not much nasty UV gets out. And the way I hear it, eye irritation from shortwave UV and UVB is generally recoverable.
But if the bulbs are in an enclosed fixture, then the fixture covering stops any nast UV that gets out of the bulb.
"Essentially, I would not mind a visit from the cops all that much, I have nothing serious to hide. I cannot see, though, why they would decide to visit, but that's all beside the point. "
Homes with abnormally large heat blooms in the structure, or on the power pole (transformer) are a signature of someone using lots of lights (often MHAs!) to grow marijuana.
Dave

I think that as a law abiding citizen in a country under the rule of law, it is not a good reason to avoid lawful activity just because it has a heat signature similar to unlawful activity.
Worst case is, I get a visit from law enforcement, and if they have a search warrant, I would gladly show them my MH lighting.
If they do not have a search warrant, I would tell them that I use MH lighting in my garage, and politely tell them to get a search warrant to enter my house.
If burglars break into my house at night, I will shoot to stop.
Besides, that ligting will see intermittent use, only when I am actually working in a garage. It is unlikely to be running at all hours of the day. So, I question the premise that use of MH lighting for illuminating a garage, would truly arouse suspicions any more than, say, use of 1 kW spotlights such a the one I have.
There could be good reasons to avoid MH lighting such as
- cost - comfort - eye safety - fire safety
etc. Visits from cops are not a good enough reason.
Ignoramus4324 wrote:

No, the worst case is they will break your door down in the middle of the night, guns drawn. Welcome to Bush's America.

CJT wrote: ...

Sad, but there is some truth to that.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

They would do the same under Clinton's or Kerry's America.

Yeah,just think "Janet Reno",about breaking down doors with guns drawn.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

There wasn't/wouldn't be a "Patriot Act" under them.

That guy wasn't a "law abiding citizen."
Ig, I agree 100%, just thought you'd like to know *why* the other poster was suggesting you'd get a knock on the door (or why someone might be taking out the hinges with a few well-placed shotgun blasts...)
Dave

Yes, I definitely appreciate your thought. It is helpful.
I also learned that these lights are used for fishtanks.
I would love to have a flood of something similar to sunlight in my garage. That would be most excellent, if it can be done safely and economically.
Ignoramus4324 wrote:

I would just laugh if they showed up at my home and invite them in. I figure if they are there the bad guys are going to be somewhere else. Besides I think most of the already know me from seeing me running. I live in a small town.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Ignoramus4324 wrote:

I have a very similar lamp that I've experimented with in my basement. I don't recall the exact lamp number.
The 3000k coated lamps are much more pleasant light to look at than similar 4200k lamps with the clear envelope, and they don't fade the furniture as much. But my fixture has trouble starting this lamp -- the old wornout clear lamp still starts just fine.
Bob

The "furniture" in my garage would not display any sign of fading, due to heavy coat of dust. :)
Now, do you actually like the light produced by your MH lighting system? Is it pleasant? Do you also use a 400W bulb and, if so, how large is your area? How tall is the ceiling etc
Ignoramus4324 wrote: ..

I would suggest fluorescent lights, the 8 foot jobs (maybe one of them that use two pair or four foot lamps) get the high efficiency ones and make sure they are rated for cold temperatures (unless you live in a very warm area.)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit