Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

Thanks Dean.

So, you would say that to have MH lighting, I need a

- Ballast/relay system.

- A proper fixture (different from rregular fixtures)

- The bulbs themselves

Is that correct?

Ignoramus4324

Thanks, that's great. I am looking to buy them at about $4 apiece, NOS. I will check out prices of fixtures and other items. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ignoramus4324

No, the worst case is they will break your door down in the middle of the night, guns drawn. Welcome to Bush's America.

Reply to
CJT

Might want to ask in sci.engr.lighting

Here's a picture of my 1500 MH yard light. It turns night into day.

Michael Shaffer

$4 each? Good luck with that!

Cheapest bet would be a cheap fuxture from HD, you can butcher the thing if you have to, or just use it as it is.

Reply to
dean

Hm, a "fuxture" sounds like some sexy bedroom toy. :)

Seriously, thank you very much, I am going to read up on that. I suppose that these fixtures provide adequate fire protection.

i scratcing his fuxture

Reply to
Ignoramus4324

Michael - nice! I have the same bulb, but on a fixture I made. It does indeed turn night into day!

Moths love it though. Thing gets covered in fried insects after a few days!

Reply to
dean

Yea, before I got the fixture the bulb was getting coated in moth guts. It did light up the trees a lot better though.

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

That one has a glass plate then? I can't see it (its too clean!)

Reply to
dean

Yup, I think it's plastic, not sure though.

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

I have a very similar lamp that I've experimented with in my basement. I don't recall the exact lamp number.

The 3000k coated lamps are much more pleasant light to look at than similar 4200k lamps with the clear envelope, and they don't fade the furniture as much. But my fixture has trouble starting this lamp -- the old wornout clear lamp still starts just fine.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The "furniture" in my garage would not display any sign of fading, due to heavy coat of dust. :)

Now, do you actually like the light produced by your MH lighting system? Is it pleasant? Do you also use a 400W bulb and, if so, how large is your area? How tall is the ceiling etc

Ignoramus4324

Ig, I agree 100%, just thought you'd like to know *why* the other poster was suggesting you'd get a knock on the door (or why someone might be taking out the hinges with a few well-placed shotgun blasts...)

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Yes, I definitely appreciate your thought. It is helpful.

I also learned that these lights are used for fishtanks.

I would love to have a flood of something similar to sunlight in my garage. That would be most excellent, if it can be done safely and economically.

Ignoramus4324

Ignoramus4324 wrote: ..

I would suggest fluorescent lights, the 8 foot jobs (maybe one of them that use two pair or four foot lamps) get the high efficiency ones and make sure they are rated for cold temperatures (unless you live in a very warm area.)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would just laugh if they showed up at my home and invite them in. I figure if they are there the bad guys are going to be somewhere else. Besides I think most of the already know me from seeing me running. I live in a small town.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

CJT wrote: ...

Sad, but there is some truth to that.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks. That's also a possibility.

I already installed four 4' 2 bulb fixtures (total of 8 fluorescent bulbs) and the result leaves some room for improvement. It is just not bright enough.

I suppose I could install, say, 2 more 8 foot fixtures for the total of four 8 ft bulbs. There are some high efficiency ones, the last time I checked, HD was out of them.

Ignoramus4324

Glass _can_ be a UV filter if it's coated with the appropriate material. Some plastics are UV absorbant but even they need special treatment to make them highly UV absorbant. Polycarbonate, for example, will block UV, but if you want PC that is rated for eye protection against UV, you look for UV400 polycarbonate.

How are you going to get this single bulb to distribute the light evenly in a garage?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

My first thought was to direct the light at the ceiling. (which is white drywall).

Ignoramus4324