metal garden sheds and laying concrete

argos are selling, maintenance free resin coated 'ship lap' style galvanised steel sheds 3.03 metres by 2.37 metres for £400. i have been told that the quality of most wooden sheds are very poor (not like the ones you see already erected in the garden centres) which you only discover when all the wood arrives at your house.

i would like to know, do these steel sheds come with their own flooring? (the argos catalogue does not say). if not, i guess we would need some concrete laid down; which as a 'novice' and retired would be a bit too much for me.

does any one have experience of these metal sheds please, i.e. the good and bad points and what to watch out, if anything? and is there anyway around laying a concrete base? thanks

Reply to
JWBH

About ten years ago I bought a metal shed, not from B&Q I might add. It came with a shuttering ply floor. The sub floor I did was sand and slabs. Worked just great, always dry as a bone, nothing has shifted. Much better that timber. I keep all my camping equipment in it. Never a problem. Hope this helps. Cheers. Joe

Reply to
Joe

yes thanks. not from b and q. ? if its a good shed with a floor, where did you buy yours please? surprised you can keep things like tents in a garden shed. i always assumed it was too damp for ours and end up dragging them into the loft.

Reply to
JWBH

Try screwfix - got mine from them. Was cheapest place by far and beat Argos.

This weekend if you spend over £250 you will get £50 off !

Reply to
Tim

Bought from a local garden centre. I live in North Devon so we are wet most of the time. Never had a problem with damp in the shed. Stuff comes out each spring and is put back each November. Joe

Reply to
Joe

Best shed I ever had was as you described - but yes, they dont usually come with a floor.

I was amazed at the strength of the finished structure - once the last few screws went in and the roof was on it appeared 'bombproof'!

g.

Reply to
Fat Freddy's Cat

You can get concrete ready mixed and delivered for around £90 per m3, you'll need 1m3 to cover an area 100mm thick and 10m2, that is to say, put up shuttering of any old timber in a 3.1 X 3.4 shape, put a sheet of polythene in the bottom and order the concrete, barrow it in and level it up with a plank, then give it a wipe over with a trowel, you'll have an hour or so before it becomes unworkable, it doesn't matter if it's a bit rough and if it rains you get a mottled concrete floor at no extra cost....it doesn't matter if you only do it 75mm thick or whatever you like.

Reply to
Phil L

thanks to all. i've had a look at the screwfix ones and they look the same as the argos ones. screwfix do a pdf erection guide, which shows it going on to a concrete slab with no integral flooring. which makes the whole business a lot more difficult for a novice.

Reply to
JWBH

We have one and it is very solid once its up. You do need the concrete floor both as a floor and a weight to stop the whole thing flying off in the first bit of wind. One word of warning the edges of the sheets are like a razor you absolutely MUST wear gloves while you are putting it together. That said it is very stable and cheap once its up.

Reply to
thehams