Messy bathrom ceiling

Pro painters:

I have a ceiling that was obviously painted without primer. The paint is peeling off, but of course, the peeling is very spotty. I have scraped what I can, but before I prime and repaint, what is the best way to prevent further peeling of the paint that was NOT scraped off. Thanks.

Reply to
H_X

Look at Zinnser (sp? never remember one or two "n"s or "s"s) Peel Stop or similar products. I've another at the moment as couldn't find it locally that came from the S-W store--it's not Sherwin-Williams and was one I'd not heard before so don't remember it otomh. Well, let's see...ok here's Peel Stop--

And, it's "Zinsser"

--

Reply to
dpb

Peeling can also result if the surface was damp or dirty, or if moisture intrudes from above. If scraping doesn't remove the paint, it is adherent enough to paint over. Clean it very well with strong household detergent, rinse and dry very well. Because the paint coat has been scraped, you will want to sand lightly to feather the edges of the paint coat. If the paint coat is thick, you might also spackle the edges. If you spackle, you will need a coat of primer. Sand lightly also if the paint has any gloss. One little matter in painting a bathroom, esp. the ceiling, is that there can be a lot of moisture on the suface from showering - discovered that last time I painted, even though we use a fan and I had waited a couple of hours. Dry the ceiling and ventilate with a fan well before painting.

Reply to
norminn

Zinsser is considered "magic" by a lot of people, but it still requires the same prep as any other primer or paint...clean suface free of mildew, dust, grease, dirt.

Reply to
norminn

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: ...

No, there's nothing "magic" implied.

Read the product description as to what it does (and doesn't claim to do).

It _will_ and does work to help. If there is still a major problem in the middle of existing that causes it to bubble, it'll still happen. OTOH, it's not at all unusual for areas to have good adhesion while others don't and Peel Stop will go a long way in those cases by fixing the edges that are prone-to-fail areas.

Reply to
dpb

From the product info.: "PEEL STOP is a clear, flexible bridging sealer for surfaces where peeling, flaking, dusting or chalking is a problem. Use indoors or out to form a breathable membrane over questionable or faulty substrates."

Why spend money to cover up a "faulty substrate"? Far better to correct the problem.

Reply to
norminn

Another option, that may be "over the top" (pun intended) is to start from scratch.

Get some 1/4 drywall - or even flexible drywall if your ceiling is curved (mine was) - and start with a fresh surface that you can seal, prime and paint instead of hoping and praying that the old paint will not peel sometime in the future.

I did that about 5 years ago in the main bathroom that had a plaster ceiling and haven't had a problem with peeling paint since. Prior to that, I was scraping, skimcoating and repainting every few years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Another option, that may be "over the top" (pun intended) is to start from scratch.

Get some 1/4 drywall - or even flexible drywall if your ceiling is curved (mine was) - and start with a fresh surface that you can seal, prime and paint instead of hoping and praying that the old paint will not peel sometime in the future.

I did that about 5 years ago in the main bathroom that had a plaster ceiling and haven't had a problem with peeling paint since. Prior to that, I was scraping, skimcoating and repainting every few years.

If the ceiling is "sound" , you could skimcoat the ceiling with Easysand Setting Type Joint Compound to start with a fresh surface to prime and paint...HTH...

Reply to
benick