Going to use this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Air-Conditioner-Coil-Foaming-Cleaner- AC-920/100599017
On 6/3/2015 12:39 PM, Boris wrote:

I'm promoting you to field tester, second grade, with pay increase and rank and authority.
I've never used this stuff. Please give it a go, and write here so we know if it's any good.
This message will self destruct in five seconds.
On 6/2/2015 12:24 PM, Boris wrote:

I was told when I replaced my entire A/C system 7-8 years ago that the newer A/C evaporator coils were a much more efficient match with the newer refrigerant gases than using ann older technology evaporator coil with a new condensing unit. However, the newer coils wouldn't fit in my old (1980s) gas furnace. I replaced the entire system with a 92% efficient gas furnace and an entirely new A/C system. On average, my gas bills during the winter heating season have been about $75/mo cheaper and my electrical bills during the A/C season have been about $100/mo cheaper than before the changeover, despite higher utility rates since then. The savings paid for the new equipment in about 6 years and meanwhile, I've got a more comfortable house and am using a smaller carbon footprint.
If you're thinking of keeping your house for more than about 5 years, the cost is more an investment than an expense. Besides, you'll probably get at least some of the cost back as a higher sales price when and if you sell.
big snip

That's what I was wondering. One could purchase a modern a/c unit only to find that the unit's coils won't fit in the furnace.
I replaced the entire system with a 92%

If my math is correct, the install cost about $6300. and

All good points.
Thanks.
On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 11:13:44 AM UTC-4, Boris wrote:

That may be a problem in some cases, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem in most cases. The coil box just sits on top of the furnace and I think most of the furnace dimensions have remained the same, simply because it makes interchange, alignment with existing ducts, possible. I would think plenty of AC installers though would come up with simple excuses to get you to replace the whole thing. And I said previously, with an 18 year old furnace, there are good valid reasons for replacing the whole thing even if you can just replace the AC part. The fuel savings cited here can be one of them, depending on the efficiency of the old furnace, cost of fuel, climate, etc.
Retirednoguilt wrote:

I moved from 80% furnace and 12 SEER a/c unit to 96% efficiency and 18 SEER unit. I could get 98% furnace furnace but it is often trouble some being so fine tuned. I realized big energy saving when a/c is running.
The Compressor uses the electricity to pump the freon through the condensor (the thing outside with the fins) which cools the freon so that when it ex pands inside the thing with fins inside on the furnace(the evaporator) it c ools the air flowing/blowing through the evaporator.
On 6/3/2015 11:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

the freon through the condensor (the thing out side with the fins) which cools the freon so that when it expands inside the thing with fins inside on the furnace(the evaporator) it cools the air flowing/blowing through the evaporator.

Freon is a brand of refrigerant. Compressors can also move Isotron, Genetron, Forane, or other brands of refrigerant.

I like that clear, simple, working explanation.
On 6/4/2015 11:44 AM, Boris wrote:

Simple, and incorrect on two points. But, who's counting?