Maytag Washing Machine leaks on fill cycle

1980s vintage Maytag washing machine, not much use given the age.
On the fill cycle, water on the floor.
The hose seem ok, but there is some sort of an air gap in line between the solenoid valve and the tub. What is this gizmo and how is it supposed to work? What are its failure modes?
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 4:46:53 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

The air gap prevents any washer water from getting back into the city/house water lines
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 4:46:53 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I remember having that problem on our old Maytag...I think I replace the air gap. You could change the hose washer/screen to see if the pressure is being reduced by a screen blockage. The part might have been cracked and it was spraying water...it was many years ago!
On 5/11/2016 2:46 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Thanks all for the comments. I took it apart and verified no hose damage. Then I cleaned the gizmo and put it together and it all seems fine.