maytag washer squealing w/ agit & spin. HELP!

my 4 year old maytag washer is agitating and spinning fine except for this horribly loud squeal! i think it's the belts underneath, the noise seems to be coming from there anyway. does anyone know for sure before i buy replacements or screw it up worse! lol besides the really loud squeal it's running fine. for diagnosis: the squeal started with just the spin cycle, but is now constant while agitating and spinning. can it be the belts slipping if i haven't noticed a decrease in performance? HELP!!!!! I would appreciate any help....

Reply to
ejkz

Hi,

Model#?

Pump is something that can cause noises in both agitation and spin. Belt(s) often do not make noises unless something else causes them too ( crap built up on a pulley, something seizing, etc ).

jeff Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks for the reply................. it's a Maytag Performa model# PAV2300AWW

Like i said, it only sqeals during the agitation and spin cycles and it's incredibly loud. if it is the pump, is there a way i can check to be sure before ordering parts? thanks so much!!! Jen

Reply to
ejkz

Thankx for the update!

Should help others!! :)

jeff. Appliance Repair aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thank you so much for suggesting it could be the pump! I took the hoses off of the pump and could see a bobby pin stuck in the "to drain" part of the pump. A $10 super long needle nose pliers from Wal-Mart did the trick! Works perfectly now!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Reply to
ejkz