Maytag top load washer (intermittently) won't stop agitating

Hello, I'm new to the group. Thanks for this opportunity to participate.

We have a Maytag top-loading 2 speed washer, model number is LAT8340AAW, Serial #A4103334, that has been acting up lately. At first, it would occasionally miss the spin cycle and fail to turn off at the end of a Normal Fabrics washload. Now this has become more frequent. When the timer dial reaches the point where it should spin and empty after washing, the machine continues to agitate, but the knob will continue turning past OFF over to the Permanent Press side while the machine agitates -- full of water. If we stop the machine and turn the dial around to rinse or spin , it _usually_ finishes the process correctly: spinning, emptying and stopping. This doesn't always work, though. When it has failed to spin -- if we manually open and close the lid it will sometimes go from agitation to spin-empty. Tonight that did not work, but giving it a 15 minute rest (turned off) allowed it to successfully spin, drain and shutoff afterwards. An advice would be helpful. I've done numerous repairs on the laundry machines for mechanical problems in the past which were more obvious, as to the causes, but electical problems are a challenge for me.

Best regards, Steve

Reply to
WestWind