Maybe water softener not yet fixed. Still trying to ID the problem

Today the salt covers the first 25 inches in height of the 14" x 24" Oval tank (was several inches higher with salt 2 days ago). The clear water is above this level, so there is 5 inches of clear water above all the salt pellets. This is more water than last night, giving me the perception that the water is super saturated with salt and using way too much salt in the regeneration. Bottom line, something is causing consumption of 300 pounds of salt in a single month.

opaque white because of the salt and not clear, is this right?
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:06:58 GMT, "1_Patriotic_Guy"

I had a similar problem although the brine tank actually overflowed before I noticed what was going on. I called Culligan who sent someone out. What he did while I wasn't here, I'm not sure, but it didn't keep the level from rising, so I called again. They sent out a different guy who appeared to know what he was doing. He replaced the main valve slider (which didn't slide very easily), showing me some o-rings that were obviously defective. He also reset the salt usage which he said was way out of whack. He said the float valve had nothing to do with it as it was only a "safety" device and it had not stopped the excess flow into the brine tank because the flow was too slow and wouldn't force the valve to shut tightly. Now it works fine, although the hot water tank is still full of hard water from when I had the softener on bypass. I haven't received a bill yet, but am expecting a big one for a service call, an hours work and some parts.