Malware more likely in Windows 7 PCs than XP: Microsoft

Page 2 of 2
Jimmy wrote:

I run win-98, so I haven't had any anti-this or anti-that software running for the last 6 or so years.
Win-9x is inherently less vulnerable (practically invunlerable) to heap-spray and buffer-overrun exploits than NT-based OS's like 2k/xp/7 is.
But when it comes to linux used as web-servers, I hear that nothing beats a hacked or trojanized apache server. It's been the choice of hackers for years to serve up fake and malicious websites.
On 05/13/2014 04:42 AM, HomeGuy wrote:

Hi Home Dude,
This is Microsoft's marketing department spreading garbage. They had to take every UNIX like platform that (the same version of) Apache runs on and multiply them together. Something like 17 of them. So they skewed the data by a multiple of about 17. They are nothing if not inventive lyings pigs.
Apache is Open Source, has peer review, and almost instantly fixes its vulnerabilities.
With Microsoft, it is years to never. Remember the Blaster virus? A vulnerability knows for years before someone wrote a virus for it. Then they fixed it in a couple of months.
By the way, I like your "security through obscurity". The bad guys really are after "low hanging fruit", meaning W7+. Their laziness is to your benefit.
With Fedora, you wouldn't have to run all that old s***. But, if that old s*** gets the job done, then you are ahead of the game.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:31:04 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:

Another insight into HomeLessGuy's world. He's still running Win98. Like you say, those out to screw the world aren't going to waste their time on an OS that few still use. He doesn't have to worry about antivirus software, or even most software out today period, because typical stuff folks use, isnt' going to run on Win98.
On 05/13/2014 07:42 AM, HomeGuy wrote:

Are the Internet amateurs at Google running a Windows or a Linux variant?

Hmm, I don't remember having to do all that. Used to be just run that pre-upgrade GUI. I remember FC20 was different, I thought I just ran fedup.
I've gone from 4 to I think 17 before I ran into some kind of issue and did a clean install. The upgrade without re-install is a neat feature.
--
Dan Espen

On 05/14/2014 05:33 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:

Hi Dan,
I have had to do clean installs before too.
"FedUp" is a new project, long time in coming. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp
They are working on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) version of it too. Should be out the same time Red Hat releases RHEL 7.
This is the kind of response you get from a customer driven project, instead of one driven by a bunch of lying, cheating marketing weasels. (No offense to weasels.)
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Hi Todd,
Also no built-in complexity designed solely to defeat duplication.
I've been waiting for something like ksplice:
https://www.ksplice.com/
to become part of common use. (Update the kernel without a reboot.) Sounds really cool.
--
Dan Espen

On 05/15/2014 11:49 AM, Dan.Espen wrote:

Hi Dan,
ksplice does sound interesting!
I get updates on my Kernel about once a week. I just wait till the next morning when I boot back up to activate it. No big deal. It always works. Not like M$ updates, where you have to hold your breath and hope you boot back up. (XP people will be relieved of that stress.)
You know your built-in remark brings to mind: if the same company that builds the cars, also owns and set the specifications on the roads, it is possible for them to arbitrarily change the specifications of the roads just the force you to buy new cars, even when the old one works fine. Hmmmm, shaded of Microsoft.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 5/12/2014 7:51 AM, HomeGuy wrote:

You sure are wrong alot!
On 05/12/2014 08:51 AM, HomeGuy wrote:

I've been using Linux since the year 2000 and about 5 or 6 years ago switched over to it as my full time OS.
It is not hard to use, but it certainly is not for everyone.
For anyone who wishes to try is I do not advise Fedora.
One of the Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu or Mint is probably the best route
On 05/13/2014 12:20 PM, philo wrote:

You should probably have someone set up what ever you pick.
I keep mentioning Fedora, as it is the best security wise. Take a look at this, which only appears in Red Hat (Fedora, etc.):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
Just try and hack a program written for it!
And Fedora is backed by Red Hat, who are extremely professional. They have fixed bug after bug for me and in a timely manner too. One years ago that wiped out my hard drive every time I tried to cut a DVD. That was fun!
Also, Fedora is extremely easy to upgrade to new versions. (None of this wipe and reinstall stuff like Windows XP to W7+. Or Frankenstein [w8] back to W7.)
Seven steps to upgrade to Fedora 20. Takes about one to two hours depending on your computer and Internet speed. And, TOTALLY uneventful. EVERYTHING works when completed.
# rpmkeys --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-20-x86_64 # yum clean all # yum update (there is a problem with repos and GPG keys, if you don't)
# yum clean all # yum update fedora-release # yum update fedup (or "install") # fedup --network 20
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 05/12/2014 01:32 AM, Buster Hymen wrote:

1+
Try before you buy: https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/#downloads
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:22:22 AM UTC-5, Sherlock.Homes wrote:

1st thing you don't want to do is take any advice from a home repair forum! *L*

that and use NoScript in FireFox, scripts will bite your ass quicker than anything these days. Also, Ccleaner helps keep your puter clean, every little bit helps keep the gremlins out. <g> And your right about most being sloppy about it. Got a buddy that calls me all the time about his puter runnin shitty. Ask the standard questions to which he has no answer(or clue of what I'm asking). Wallk him through just a basic clean up. Which he never remembers from the last time and will not use anything but IE, which i tell him is his #1 problem Also, the most basic thing is, no matter who uses the puter, is to set up an Admin account and a user account. All real simple shit.
Todd wrote:

And then you will find all the software that only works with IE.
On 05/11/2014 09:59 AM, rbowman wrote:

Hi Rbowman,
1) you get in their faces and demand they follow proper web standards
2) find another software vendor that does
3) install "IE Tab V2" and configure it to ONLY run that web page as an IE window inside Firefox
You are taking your ass in your hands by running IE.
-T
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

got a freind that works IT security at TI(TexasInstrument) and he says he very rarely has to deal with viruses these days, its mostly scripts and malware
On 05/11/2014 10:43 PM, ChairMan wrote:

I see junkware about 20 times more than malware (viruses, trojans, etc.). Of the malware, "ransomware" is a huge deal. Cryptolocker is an especially scary one. (You see it in your eMail offering to help you track a package.)
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped