Malware more likely in Windows 7 PCs than XP: Microsoft

I see junkware about 20 times more than malware (viruses, trojans, etc.). Of the malware, "ransomware" is a huge deal. Cryptolocker is an especially scary one. (You see it in your eMail offering to help you track a package.)

Reply to
Todd

Friends don't let friends use Windows!

Buster Hymen

The truth about Fedora (and the increasingly uncountable versions of unix / linux out there these days) is that they are for geeks, not the average computer user.

There is no version of those OS's that are shrink-wrapped and one-button-installable by the average home or soho desktop or laptop user that is in any way a coherent and ergonomic replacement for windoze. And not just the OS, but all the personal and business apps that go along with it.

For better or worse, it's about time you fools realized that.

Reply to
HomeGuy

Easy...a geek is not a fool...he's not like someone from California that us es a Mac!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

1+

Try before you buy:

Todd

Hi Guy,

And, it is getting easier every day.

By the way, I am a business and I am a Fedora shop. There are lots of Business apps, just not from Microsoft.

Linux's only downfall is its lack of off the shelf apps. But, you can almost always find a work around, like I have.

But, you do have a point. Trying to get Windows users off of Windows is like trying to get an addict off of crack cocaine.

And when you life depends on it:

-T

Reply to
Todd

Oren unnecessarily full-quoted:

I haven't run win-95 since about July 2000.

But yea - I use Netscape Navigator for usenet. Something that apparently mOron doesn't realize is that Usenet is about 15 years older than the usenet client I use.

What a maroon you are - a proven fool.

Go look up how old usenet is, and then tell us why a "modern" usenet client is any better than an old one.

We can't wait.

Reply to
HomeGuy

You sure are wrong alot!

Reply to
ButtfartTJustice

I run win-98, so I haven't had any anti-this or anti-that software running for the last 6 or so years.

Win-9x is inherently less vulnerable (practically invunlerable) to heap-spray and buffer-overrun exploits than NT-based OS's like 2k/xp/7 is.

But when it comes to linux used as web-servers, I hear that nothing beats a hacked or trojanized apache server. It's been the choice of hackers for years to serve up fake and malicious websites.

Reply to
HomeGuy

Hi Home Dude,

This is Microsoft's marketing department spreading garbage. They had to take every UNIX like platform that (the same version of) Apache runs on and multiply them together. Something like 17 of them. So they skewed the data by a multiple of about 17. They are nothing if not inventive lyings pigs.

Apache is Open Source, has peer review, and almost instantly fixes its vulnerabilities.

With Microsoft, it is years to never. Remember the Blaster virus? A vulnerability knows for years before someone wrote a virus for it. Then they fixed it in a couple of months.

By the way, I like your "security through obscurity". The bad guys really are after "low hanging fruit", meaning W7+. Their laziness is to your benefit.

With Fedora, you wouldn't have to run all that old s***. But, if that old s*** gets the job done, then you are ahead of the game.

-T

Reply to
Todd

I've been using Linux since the year 2000 and about 5 or 6 years ago switched over to it as my full time OS.

It is not hard to use, but it certainly is not for everyone.

For anyone who wishes to try is I do not advise Fedora.

One of the Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu or Mint is probably the best route

Reply to
philo

Are the Internet amateurs at Google running a Windows or a Linux variant?

Reply to
pseudonym

You should probably have someone set up what ever you pick.

I keep mentioning Fedora, as it is the best security wise. Take a look at this, which only appears in Red Hat (Fedora, etc.):

Just try and hack a program written for it!

And Fedora is backed by Red Hat, who are extremely professional. They have fixed bug after bug for me and in a timely manner too. One years ago that wiped out my hard drive every time I tried to cut a DVD. That was fun!

Also, Fedora is extremely easy to upgrade to new versions. (None of this wipe and reinstall stuff like Windows XP to W7+. Or Frankenstein [w8] back to W7.)

Seven steps to upgrade to Fedora 20. Takes about one to two hours depending on your computer and Internet speed. And, TOTALLY uneventful. EVERYTHING works when completed.

# rpmkeys --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-20-x86_64 # yum clean all # yum update (there is a problem with repos and GPG keys, if you don't)

# yum clean all # yum update fedora-release # yum update fedup (or "install") # fedup --network 20

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hmm, I don't remember having to do all that. Used to be just run that pre-upgrade GUI. I remember FC20 was different, I thought I just ran fedup.

I've gone from 4 to I think 17 before I ran into some kind of issue and did a clean install. The upgrade without re-install is a neat feature.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Hi Dan,

I have had to do clean installs before too.

"FedUp" is a new project, long time in coming.

They are working on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) version of it too. Should be out the same time Red Hat releases RHEL 7.

This is the kind of response you get from a customer driven project, instead of one driven by a bunch of lying, cheating marketing weasels. (No offense to weasels.)

-T

Reply to
Todd

Another insight into HomeLessGuy's world. He's still running Win98. Like you say, those out to screw the world aren't going to waste their time on an OS that few still use. He doesn't have to worry about antivirus software, or even most software out today period, because typical stuff folks use, isnt' going to run on Win98.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi Todd,

Also no built-in complexity designed solely to defeat duplication.

I've been waiting for something like ksplice:

to become part of common use. (Update the kernel without a reboot.) Sounds really cool.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Hi Dan,

ksplice does sound interesting!

I get updates on my Kernel about once a week. I just wait till the next morning when I boot back up to activate it. No big deal. It always works. Not like M$ updates, where you have to hold your breath and hope you boot back up. (XP people will be relieved of that stress.)

You know your built-in remark brings to mind: if the same company that builds the cars, also owns and set the specifications on the roads, it is possible for them to arbitrarily change the specifications of the roads just the force you to buy new cars, even when the old one works fine. Hmmmm, shaded of Microsoft.

-T

Reply to
Todd